• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Problems Hoohing up new sport Headlights "NEED WIRING DIAGRAM"

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Headlights.. I HAVE JUST LEARNED OUR TRUCKS HAVE GROUND SWITCHING SYSTEM "Meaning the switch in the Cab interrupts the Ground circuit and not the power... HAVING TROUBLE IDENTIFYING THE 3 SMALL WIRES IN OEM #9004 PLUG, NEED TO HOW IT COMPLETES THE CIRCUIT SO I CAN TRIGGER THE RELAYS WITH THEMI am installing new Sport Headlights... Made my own Wiring Harness w/Relays using 10 & 12 Gauge Wire.. 14gauge on the Trigger wires. sordered all terminals & connections and used Marine Heat-shrink tubing which has a glue in it that melts & sqeezes out the ends to bond to the wire insulation.. WILL POST PICTURES AND SPECIFICATION'S AND WHERE TO GET ALL PARTS WHEN I AM FINISHEDRichie

HEY MICHAEL... HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT THE TIME ON THE LEFT IS WRONG...ITS NOW SHOWING 1:55PM and its 10:09AM MY TIME AND I THINK 8:09AM YOUR TIME P/S THANKS FOR THE WIRING DIAGRAMRichie

Well, Yesterday after getting the wiring diagram from Michael i arranged my trigger wires fot the relays and bamb!! poping fuse's like crazy...i can't find the problem, i have the narrowed it down to the trigger wire config. because i can unplug the headlight side harness from the relays and it still blows fuse's..dead ground some how HELP!!:banghead::pray:

All I can say is double check you wiring closely and maybe use a DVM to check polarity of the wire with the headlights on... Like you said somewhere down the line you got a short to ground...

O.K. ihave determined the problem is in the connection with using the original headlight wires to trigger the relay's

I am wiring as follows:

LEFT SIDE:

LOWBEAM RELAY: violet power wire to #85post

violet/white GND wire to #86post

HIGHBEAM RELAY: violet power wire to#85post

red/orange GND to #86post

RIGHT SIDE

LOWBEAM: violet/red power wire to#85 post

VIOLET/WHITE wire to #85post

HIGHBEAM: violet/red power wire to #85post

Red/orange wire to #86post

I have checked & double checked w/ DVM, THE violet & violet/red wires are deffenditely the power wires & they are straight from the PDC & ARE ALWAYS HOT

Pops a fuse as soon as you replace them...DEAD GROUND..Posted Image

WHAT AM I DOING WRONGPosted Image

O.K. ihave determined the problem is in the connection with using the original headlight wires to trigger the relay's

I am wiring as follows:

LEFT SIDE:

LOWBEAM RELAY: violet power wire to #85post

violet/white GND wire to #86post

HIGHBEAM RELAY: violet power wire to#85post

red/orange GND to #86post

RIGHT SIDE

LOWBEAM: violet/red power wire to#85 post

VIOLET/WHITE wire to #85post

HIGHBEAM: violet/red power wire to #85post

Red/orange wire to #86post

I have checked & double checked w/ DVM, THE violet & violet/red wires are deffenditely the power wires & they are straight from the PDC & ARE ALWAYS HOT

Pops a fuse as soon as you replace them...DEAD GROUND..Posted Image

WHAT AM I DOING WRONGPosted Image

the ground is supplied by the multifunction switch. try disconnecting from the V/W wire and grounding to the battery instead, if it still blows a fuse I'd say its a bad relay.

• Owner

Posted Image

This is the best I can show you... The is my setup on my fog lamps. At least you can see the relay and the pins and how I dealt with the constant +12V and switched ground..

Looking at the wiring diagram and looking closely at your post the wiring seems correct but there is something wrong with the relays I'm starting to think... You could try dracozny idea...

The only thing that comes to mind is make sure you looking at the right pins on the relay... 30, 87, 87a run the 3 up the middle where 86 and 85 are sideways and run up the side typically.

• Like 1

Posted Image

This is the best I can show you... The is my setup on my fog lamps. At least you can see the relay and the pins and how I dealt with the constant +12V and switched ground..

Looking at the wiring diagram and looking closely at your post the wiring seems correct but there is something wrong with the relays I'm starting to think... You could try dracozny idea...

The only thing that comes to mind is make sure you looking at the right pins on the relay... 30, 87, 87a run the 3 up the middle where 86 and 85 are sideways and run up the side typically.

Thanks Michael, that does shead A HOLE LOT OF light on the problem i will explain later in a thread i plan to post with photo's, parts list w/ part#,where to buy, diminsion's as well as a diagram on this MOD.., ..have not finished it yet..BUUUUTTT...here is where i basicly went wrong.

#1--the violet/white wire which is in the low beam circuit GND from Dimmer switch via thru PDC changes Polarity in the High Beam . THE VIOLET WIRE {POSITIVE FROM DIMMER SW. via PDC }MUST BE CONNECTED TO THE COMMON {BLACK}WIRE ON THE 9004/9007 CONNECTOR...

#2--O.K the last few days...i have read threads all over the internet regarding this issue, yet know clear explaination as to the cause...just the random croos this wire or jumper this wire...."SOOO.. here you are" THE REASON FOR THE HEADLIGHT INDICATOR STAYING LIT IS THE HIGHBEAM INDICATOR ITSELF RELY'S ON THE LOWBEAM GND {VIOLET/WHITE WIRE FROM DIMMER SW} FOR A GND...SO WHEN IT IS REMOVED FROM HEADLIGHT GROUND CIRCUIT TO CONTROL A RELAY IT WILL STAY LIT OR SOMETIMES SLIGHTLY LIT.. WHEN

THE FIX: TAKE THE VIOLET/WHITE WIRE AND CONNECT A DIODE & RESISTOR THEN TO THE FRAME FOR GROUND.. p/s polarity is no longer reversed in HB Mode...now you have grounded the indicator so it can turn off in Low beam mode

I no this is not real clear, few details not mentioned, but it will be when you all see the future thread i will post..STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT EPOSODE !!! :tease:

O.K i i have got the lights to work pretty much the way they are suppost to but they will not cut off YEP...YOU HEARD RIGKT... THE WILL NO CUT OFF...SWITCH OFF..KEY IN MY POCKET:cry::cookoo: HELP SOMEBODY !!!! NEED TO GET THIS THING BACK TOGETHER...people starting to as qusestions:ahhh: Richie

O.K....Mopar...once again you hit it right on...problem was...Drum roll please:lol:... :smart: YOU CAN NOT USE A SPDT {single trip double through}RELAY IN THIS SYSTEM...because of the way it is configurated, when you brake the ground circuit with the switch it finds the frame ground on post #85 because there is about 2.5 -3volts reverse current on the High-Beam wire,{red/orange} which goes nowhere as long as that circuit is closed. Have reconfigured my wires, replaced the one SPDT with a SPST dual #87 output {not #87A & #87}Now i have to go back and make that part of the Harness from scratch,"what a PITA....:yme:Richie

O.K. let me correct some things i said in the recent post listed above,"mainly regarding the problem with Headlights not turning off after wiring new HEADLIGHT HARNESS W/RELAYS

First, i think i better explain the configuration i was using... Basicly i was using 2-reays per side 1SPDT relay for the ground circuit & 1-SPST 5pin dual #87 output relay for the power circuit. SPDT means single post double through.. SPST means single post single through.

alright the problem was with the SPDT relay in the ground circuit as i said above but here was the real problem...

As many of you electrical GURU'S already know with a SPDT relay the connection from #30 {which is your primary feed}, to#87A {which is output] is the "DEFAULT" connection..so in this case because i was using this in a "GROUND" circuit... #30terminal was connected straight to -negitive post on Battery..#86 was connected to violet wire from PDC which is HOT at all times..#85 terminal was connected to Highbeam red/org. Ground switch wire from dimmer switch..

Now the reason they would not turn of was because that "CONNECTION BETWEEN #30 & 87A TERMINALS IS CONSTANT AT ALL TIMES ..whin activated by the trigger wire, #85 terminal, that only cycled between low & high beam and never actually "killed the ground to the Headlights.

O.K. this could solved in 3-different methods"

#1 Do away with the solid primary ground to battery and use ground switch red/org wire for terminal #30 #85 :nono: "this would defeat the whole purpose of me doing the HD relay harness if i cannot increase the ground cap.

#2 Install a third relay to control the ground output to the SPDT primary ground relay."This would work but the # of relays are starting to pile up already 3- on the drivers side counting the relay for the fog lights.

#3 and this is the way i choose to do it, i used 2-SPST w/dual 87-outputs to headlights "1-FOR THE LOW BEAM CIRCUIT & 1-FOR THE HIGHBEAM CIRCUIT...THIS WORKED OUT GREAT COULD NOT BE HAPPY'ER....

More to come>>

Richie

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

O.K Gang, i got the sport headlights wired up and they work great, but now my parklights are dim and barely burning...:ahhh:

I am guessing the problem has to be the ground,.. could this be something to do with the ground from the switch not looping through the healight's now thus not being completed.

Richie

Boy this thing really got you going around and around fighting this wiring setup... Man I wish I could be there I would love to dive in and figure this out with you...

"YOU AND ME BOTH MICHAEL" The bright side is If i get through this i am going to Post one HE#L of a thread, w/ a Detailed Wiring diagram and phots, list of parts and where to by, and part#....DONT WONT NOBODY ELSE TO GO THROUGH THIS MADNESS:banghead:

Seriously though..I have beat the forums to death trying to find info on this Mod....you fin people talking about it but no good or detailed info..."i found alot of peoples threads w/problems do this such ....fog lights not working when cycled to low beam, HB indicator staying on, HB & LB working backwards, LB not diming when on low, NOBODY HAS DONE A DETAILED THREAD ON HOW TO WIRE THESE UP YOURSELF...

OH..SURE over on the other "Forums" The default answer is always suvlights.com or Dainel Stern Lighting...or LMC TRUCK {i tried the LMC one,POS} Wiring is cheap & small connectors are cheap china quality junk.. none of the above solder there connections THIS IS WHEN I ELECTED TO DO MY OWN...i soldered each and every connection & used heat shrink tubing

Richie

eventually I get to deal with this to some extent, hopefully it won't be as painful. there is a ton of schematics over at hidplanet, they have an entire thread dedicated to building custom harnesses. although you have to be a member to view anything there. might be worth a shot for some ideas at least.