• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

IAT and ECT connected?

On 9/3/2018 at 6:36 PM, pepsi71ocean said:

Cummins came out with a tab about this issue. But even so I have larger injectors and I can see pyrometer temps in the 180 range at idle in the dead of winter with a 190 Napa stat. It's too choose to wet stacking for me.

What do you mean by "off set programming" I have a smarty.

I did that years ago before I built a winter front. I was it in a snow storm and lost my ad and couldn't keep the windshield clean, and then had snow and ice buildup over the ac and transmission coolers. 

The fluctuations on a 12v are due to the location of the proble. On my vp truck I found some stats cycle worse then others.  I had cummins 180s that would cycle 172-187, but I ran Napa 190s that would cycle 185-195. 

For me running around in 0-35f weather the 200 seems to put out a significantly more heat compared to the other two without putting it on recalculate.

The offset table is an overlay map, I believe smarty leaves that alone but when IAT changes the timing variable and fuel map changes for offset in oxygen content and heat rise during compression. Essentially it dials fuel back a little when it's hot and timing falls to control combustion pressures. It's all for emissions, the quadzilla doesn't use that factor in it's program but smarty and superchips both do since there a flash program. Really that table isn't a bad thing to have, it can save a head gasket if you run the boarder edge of timing at say 70* IAT then at 140* IAT due to to much timing. It can create too much pressure and too fast of a flame front. You'll notice summer to winter that the engine clatter changes. When my tow rig IAT went past 140* with the super chips timing fell hard, engine went near silent once it hit 150 at cruising conditions. This was on an eco tune that ran a TON of timing just like the smarty eco map.

as for the 12v yeah the location of the temp probe is an issue but that fluctuation does occur upon the T stat opening and in some cases can crack heads. Doesn't happen often and it's usually operator error by heating the engine too fast in the cold. The drilled hole takes a bit longer to warm up but it's much smoother and easier on components not to be shocked by a cold flow of water. It's designed to withstand it yes but it's more of a safeguard.

warmer temp in the winter is no question beneficial but radiator or grille blocking helps a lot too just blocking cold air in the engine compartment alone will help a lot. Each is different though and of course your geographical location

On 9/3/2018 at 10:05 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I don't suggest that. This potentially can lead to overheating. I've actually had that happen this why I will not cover the face of the intercooler or the radiator. I will cover the grill this allows the fan to lock when needed to pull air through the intercooler and the radiator without any concern. Like my current weather starting to dip down to the 30's for the morning but can rise well into the 90's by afternoon. With a grill covers you can actually still drive with 80*F temps without any issues and not have to constantly remove and install the winter front because of fluke warm day. Typically I install my grill covers by October and leave them in all winter till April.  

Image result for mopar1973man winter front

That's a good way of doing it too, the pizza box trick you don't cover the hole thing just half, and you can adjust how much you need. Usually below 30*f I do 1/2 running empty and towing I remove it unless temp gets too low then I'll go 1/4. Helps with warmup too with the T stat drilled. Never had an overheat issue and I'm pretty on top of it depending on conditions. I have a lot of idle time in the winter, this holds the heat in really well and self regulates the temp more. Both my trucks have larger then stock radiators according to specs. It's got an additional core on each truck to offset for added EGT and cylinder temps. Better too cold then too hot (to a point)

@Tittle Diesel Performance you said larger then stock radiator? I didn't know they made those? 

Yes I can see that for a 12v, I tried the holes in the tstat on my 99 and had issues reaching temp. 

Really Good information about the offset table. It is ironic that I do notice the difference in idle now that you mention it.

On 9/12/2018 at 9:18 PM, pepsi71ocean said:

@Tittle Diesel Performance you said larger then stock radiator? I didn't know they made those? 

Yes I can see that for a 12v, I tried the holes in the tstat on my 99 and had issues reaching temp. 

Really Good information about the offset table. It is ironic that I do notice the difference in idle now that you mention it.

Yeah if you look at specs some companies make an oversized unit. It’s not displayed as oversized you gotta check the spec sheet. I run 4 core units in both. Stock is 3 according to Chrysler tech bullitens. Either way I’ve never gotten either truck over 190* even with the 1/2 rad block in 70* weather cause I forgot to remove the block. That also includes 20k up 6% grades at 70mph during summer running the AC. They both stay nice and cool all day. I got them dialed. It’s all about the details??

Youll notice too that that the clatter is louder on “cold starts” meaning ambient temp. Engines are considered cold under coolant temps of 120-130* depending on manufacture. At 70* ambient VP trucks seem to hold about 18.73* of timing at idle on start to offset for cold fuel and cold air temps as the engine isn’t warm but as it comes up in temp timing falls back to 13.73 roughly. You can hear it if you listen closely. Winter I’m not sure of timing yet though off the top of my head. My dually is new to me still so it hasn’t seen a winter in my possession yet

• Owner
1 hour ago, Tittle Diesel Performance said:

At 70* ambient VP trucks seem to hold about 18.73* of timing at idle on start to offset for cold fuel and cold air temps as the engine isn’t warm but as it comes up in temp timing falls back to 13.73 roughly.

Edge Comp drove that as high as 20 to 22 degrees (highway speed). Then after warm up fell to 12.86 degrees (idle). Hence the IAT fooler this brought it back down to the normal stock realm.