• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need rental trailer recommendations for towing a 2001 ram 2500

Hey guys, 

I need to rent a trailer so I can move from Washington to Texas here in the next week. I'll be driving my 99 2wd tow pig. I'll be towing my 2001 ram 2500 QCSB 4x4 and was looking for recommendations on rental trailers. I want to have all 4 wheels on the trailer if possible. I've called Rhyder, Sunbelt, and United Rentals and their trailers have to be returned to the same location, so I need something I can return out of state.. Are there any other 1 way trailer rentals that have a max capacity of 8000lbs or more so I can be on the safe side or is something like Uhaul's trailer good enough? 

Uhaul's max trailer weight is capacity is 5,290lbs 

Budget's max trailer weight capacity is 4,055lbs

Penske's max trailer weight capacity is 4,050lbs

TL;DR. Does anybody know of a company that I can rent a trailer from to tow this truck? She's a heavy girl and it makes it hard to find something. 

Short of finding a rental what about searching craigslist to see if someone is selling one for cheap. Never know you might get lucky. Or worst case a car dolly to at least get the front tires up and disconnect the driveshaft to eliminate the possibility of any issues there.

Just now, 2000Ram2500 said:

Short of finding a rental what about searching craigslist to see if someone is selling one for cheap. Never know you might get lucky. Or worst case a car dolly to at least get the front tires up and disconnect the driveshaft to eliminate the possibility of any issues there.

That was the last resort option for me honestly. I've been checking for trailers but nothing around here within my criteria and budget. 

I hear ya.. I've been keeping an eye out for a decent flatbed myself just to have one handy but nobody wants to give them away thats for sure. But you being in a time crunch makes it even more difficult. This is a long shot and by no means cheaper but assuming they both run and drive you could drive one out then rent a car or fly back to drive the other. Thats a long move though...

2 minutes ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

I hear ya.. I've been keeping an eye out for a decent flatbed myself just to have one handy but nobody wants to give them away thats for sure. But you being in a time crunch makes it even more difficult. This is a long shot and by no means cheaper but assuming they both run and drive you could drive one out then rent a car or fly back to drive the other. Thats a long move though...

If we had no option left to tow it i'd have my wife drive it, just didn't want to spend the extra money on gas, especially since the fuel gauge doesn't work, still not sure why. 

40 minutes ago, NIsaacs said:

Since your pickup will weigh 7k bare bones, you will need at least a 10k gvw trailer. If you fill the bed and or cab with extra stuff to move, you will need to up the trailer gvw to 12-14k.

So I found the scale weight of the truck 5586lbs, We've pretty much sold everything we have except for essentials like cloths. Every place i've contacted with trailers that would work said they only do 1 way and I talked to Uhaul and they won't rent me the trailer I could use from them because it's too far I guess. So I'm currently looking at a 8k capacity tow bar. I'll just have to disconnect the drive shafts before hand

Are you sure that is not the weight of your 4x2? I weighed my '01 4x4 QCSB 6spd when I bought it, with spare and me in it, it was 7k. Almost 8k now with all my towing junk in it. I would not use a tow bar, they suck when the towed vehicle is heavier than the tow vehicle. They are hard to stop, too. Do you have a gooseneck hitch in the 4x2? Or just receiver hitch?

• Like 1