• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4WD Indicator Light Not Working??!!??

Hey,

Alright guys yesterday I noticed the indicator light wasn't working on my truck. It goes into 4wd but I don't get a light on the dash. I've pulled the switch and tested it and seems to be okay. I've tested for continuity in the harness and some to be fine there. I've done what the Dodge book says to do and haven't gotten a light yet. I've tried to jump the plug across and I still don't get a light.:shrug:

Any ideas?? Should I pull the cluster and see what is going on behind there?? Is the light a bulb or LED? The Dodge book says it is a LED, but I'm not sure??:shrug:

It has been a while since I've had a cluster out on one of these so I can't remember how big of a deal it is to pull or if I'll be able to figure anything out if I do!!

Thanks,

Winslow

--- Update to the previous post...

Hey,

Also I should add that I've just pulled the cluster. It is a LED so no hope on a bulb being burned out. Right now we are trying to figure out which tab on the harness is for the 4wd. The service manual is a PITA!!!!:banghead:

Thanks,

Winslow

Hmmmmm, give me an hour and I'll post pics of the cluster removal. Hope mine isn't too different from yours.

Hey, Just pulled mine. It wasn't hard at all!! Just no luck on the 4wd yet though..... I've got pictures of the cluster if needed!:thumbup2: Thanks, Winslow

:lol: I just got mine done, can't believe that's all there is to it. Anyways, something you might look at is the printed part of the board. Make sure all of those printed copper parts are continuous and not broken anywhere. I know it's probably not very likely but it seems like you have eliminated all the probably causes. Have you taken a volt meter and seen if you have voltage at that light when it is in 4wd? I am going to make my 4wd light be on all the time so people think it's a 4wd lol. http://www.mopar1973man.com//isx97/Truck%20Stuff/Ryan's%20Dodge/Interior/Other/IMG_1506.JPG

Hey,Yeah it was really really too easy to remove!!:lmao2:We are just right now checking to see if we get continuity through the LED. I've checked for voltage at the plug on the CAD and nothing there... Haven't chased wires but we get continuity from a ground to either one of the plugs. That's what the service manual says to check. I've tried across the plug and I don't think I got anything. But going from what the service manual says, I'm suppose to check plug C2... and tab 10... which ever one that is!:ahhh:Thanks,Winslow

Well mine works and it's not even a 4x4 :lmao: BUT! The switched part is actually the negative. To get my 4x4 light to stay on I just cut the wire coming out of the instrument panel connector and ran it to ground, I was wondering why it wouldn't work when I hooked it to positive. If you look closely you can see that there is a common wire that jumps to all the different lights, well that's actually a positive. So you might have been checking positive to positive or ground to ground. Is yours the same as mine? You could just swap lights with one of the other ones that you know works.. http://www.mopar1973man.com//isx97/Truck%20Stuff/Ryan's%20Dodge/Interior/Other/IMG_1509.JPG

Hey,

Got it fixed!!!! It ended up being the two wires that go to the CAD switch got up into the A/C pulley and were cut in two!!!!!!!!:thud:

So I got out the soldering iron and fixed them. Now it works just like it should and I made sure it will never get up the pulley again! Zip ties!!!!!!:hyper:

I'll post up some pictures after they load up in a bit!! Thanks for all the help, just goes to show make sure you check the simple things first!!!!!:rolleyes::lol:

Thanks,

Winslow

--- Update to the previous post...

Hey,

Here are some pictures:

Posted Image

Wires got cut!

Posted Image

Stripped!

Posted Image

Soldered!

Posted Image

Heat shrink!

Posted Image

Covered!

Posted Image

Zip ties!

Posted Image

Works for me!

Posted Image

Done!

Posted Image

Tools!

Posted Image

More tools!!

Posted Image

Back side of mine!

Posted Image

Rare view inside!

Thanks,

Winslow

Hey,Yeah mine is a lot different. They probably changed it in 2000 I think when they went to the digital odometer. Or they may have changed it in 98.5 then again later. Hard to say about Dodge!!:lmao:Mine was pretty easy to remove and install. Four screws and a good pull!!!:tease:I just can't believe I overlooked such a simple problem. I even thought about checking the wires, but thought they should be okay!!:stuned:Later,Winslow

Hey,I'm very glad I got it fixed. It bothers me when things don't work like they are suppose to. Plus it would have been a PITA if it would have decided to wait until winter when I'm going to school to decided to not work. Glad I found out now and it turned out to be a cheap/ easy fix!!!!!!!!!!!:hyper:Thanks,Winslow