• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 leaking fuel

Hello and thanks in advance

I've got a 2001 cummins, 24v with a 5 speed. Its stock only with a BHAF swap and a turbo-back exhaust. I got the truck from my uncle and it was well maintained and have most of the records for it. has 240,000km's on the odometer

Back in 2015 the VP44 was changed to a bosch remanufactured, its only got maybe 25,000km's on it since. so its basically brand new but outside of warrenty

Anyways periodically I've notice a spot of diesel under the truck but have never been able to track down where it was coming from. the other day it left a big spot, so i decided to wash the engine bay to see if I've got any sort of wet spots.

well today I inspected it and I noticed when you stab the throttle on idle it leaks from this small plate on the pump it appears to be the bottom of it, a bit of research I've found that I believe it is where the timing piston is located. In the image its the brass coloured plate dead center

yNXk7Do.jpg?1

Now it appears like its got a few bolts on either side of it. Is it possible to remove this plate and reseal it? I cant really tell if it is leaking around the plate or through the plate all i know is i can see it drip if i stab the throttle and check. doesnt seem to drip when just idling but t does drip.

Any help appreciated

-David

The diagtam makes it look simple I would have to say. There is a spring in there so be careful of it shooting the internals out. Maybe the cover screws just need a bit snugging, dont know. Just my opinion, but I would not want to open it unless I had a spare $1000 laying around just in case. Be my luck I would need it.

Edited by dripley