• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

**What steering do I have??

when i picked mine up in colorado in 2009, it was a ranch truck 150,000 miles. i was second owner. steering was loose and the filter looked original i was surprised it pulled air through...

i traded my 2001 1500 5.9Lv8 gasser for it, and then financed the rest. but this truck was hard to find even used at the time with a 6spd and diesel. so far what ive repaired on it....

injection pump $1600

lift pump $600

tuner $600

front ujoints $150

drive shaft support bearing $150

complete brake overhaul (minus front calipers and rotors)  $1000

clutch replacement $1500

engine rebuild $4500

both front hubs $290

rear diff seal $150

front axle seals $30

complete steering linkage replaced $350

track bar x 2 (i wore them out rock crawling with 35"s) $300

bhaf air filter with sock (still in top shape) $75

CCV mod (thanks moparman!) $20

driver door replacement (rusted out on the bottom) $150

batteries x infiniti.... haha $220

35" tires x5 tires $1600

im sure im forgetting something....

things still to be done

replace steering gear $300

upgrade to 3rd gen trackbar $500

replace transfer case seals $??

eventually replace the rusting bed in 20 or less years with a aluminum flatbed $a lot

reseal the cab (new door gaskets) $50

new headlights $???

luckily my frame is in top shape, no rust just dirty. the axles could use a sandblasting to get the surface rust off and then painted.

just got to keep up on things to make them last.   id rather have a vehicle that i know will run and is paid off and i can fix it than a new vehicle every 10 years and forever in debt.

• Like 1

My 3500 gasser I bought myself from someone up state NY back in 2004, it was used with welding and cutting gear on the back removing the mangled steel from the twin towers, it was shipped from New Jersey into Southampton UK,  my wife and I drove down there to pick it up, I drove it back maybe 300 miles...... absolute death trap, easily a 2 lane wanderer (our lanes aren't your width)  thing is before I bought it it was being used every day.

Quite funny really as I got it moved to Poughkipsie (not the right spelling) and got it loaded with other stuff for friends and others that paid to have their stuff shipped, I spent a week there sorting it all out.

It was supposed to come over in a container DOH....3500 rams do not fit in a shipping container

Anyway when it got here it was a 100% death trap and cost me over £1500 to put it right but it was still a cheap truck and it does not owe me a penny

On 5/2/2020 at 12:08 PM, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

when i picked mine up in colorado in 2009, it was a ranch truck 150,000 miles. i was second owner. steering was loose and the filter looked original i was surprised it pulled air through...

i traded my 2001 1500 5.9Lv8 gasser for it, and then financed the rest. but this truck was hard to find even used at the time with a 6spd and diesel. so far what ive repaired on it....

injection pump $1600

lift pump $600

tuner $600

front ujoints $150

drive shaft support bearing $150

complete brake overhaul (minus front calipers and rotors)  $1000

clutch replacement $1500

engine rebuild $4500

both front hubs $290

rear diff seal $150

front axle seals $30

complete steering linkage replaced $350

track bar x 2 (i wore them out rock crawling with 35"s) $300

bhaf air filter with sock (still in top shape) $75

CCV mod (thanks moparman!) $20

driver door replacement (rusted out on the bottom) $150

batteries x infiniti.... haha $220

35" tires x5 tires $1600

im sure im forgetting something....

things still to be done

replace steering gear $300

upgrade to 3rd gen trackbar $500

replace transfer case seals $??

eventually replace the rusting bed in 20 or less years with a aluminum flatbed $a lot

reseal the cab (new door gaskets) $50

new headlights $???

luckily my frame is in top shape, no rust just dirty. the axles could use a sandblasting to get the surface rust off and then painted.

just got to keep up on things to make them last.   id rather have a vehicle that i know will run and is paid off and i can fix it than a new vehicle every 10 years and forever in debt.

I know that feeling for owning something rather than stuck in payments. For the same truck I have off the lot is a minimum of 7 grand. I'd rather it nickle and dime me to death knowing my mom is going into my pocket rather than the banks. 

You have almost a brand new truck!! When I do the cab swap I'm also doing all the electrical and making my dream truck, not a very big dream, I just want auto head lights, gps nav. Seat wamers, working cruise, auto start. Just some above stock features. I told my mom Id rather slowly put 45k into this than walk off the lot with a truck I can't even program. I learned how to work on all my stuff through forums 15 years ago after my dad passed away, he taught me a lot, but I wasn't old enough. 

Whats the ccv mod?

Im running 275/70/18s for wheels, I wouldn't go any bigger, but I may have a spare sent during hunting and fishing season for mud tires. 90% of my driving is pavement, but I went 4x4 because I like to go camping and I've got my old Dodge 1 wheel peel stuck over 10x and in less than an inch of mud.

Your post also made my wallet run and hide. Haha. I'm ordering ball joints this week.......what A pain. Thinking Napa.