Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Looks like y link but dampening shock is in different place then mine, mine is at bottom. Guess in 97 it was up there. 

That's the part that is confusing me! We just found out my buddies 95 has the dampener in the same spot as mine, then another 97 i just ran into had double ones on the axle. 

Are there two different y type steering setups? And the 3rd with double dampeners on it would be a lifted HD version for bigger tires? so technically 3 on these trucks? I guess Ive never really got into steering as much as I thought not working on trucks and mostly cars all my life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The_Jackale said:

That's the part that is confusing me! We just found out my buddies 95 has the dampener in the same spot as mine, then another 97 i just ran into had double ones on the axle. 

Are there two different y type steering setups? And the 3rd with double dampeners on it would be a lifted HD version for bigger tires? so technically 3 on these trucks? I guess Ive never really got into steering as much as I thought not working on trucks and mostly cars all my life. 

The double one is most likely after market and not OE.

The y and t steering were option back in the late 90's i think.

Edited by dripley
Link to post
Share on other sites

My 95 had Y style just like your 97. The T style didn’t come out till 98. You can order the HD T style for a 98 for your 97 and it will be direct fit, but you won’t be able to add the bottom stabilizer. I have been running without a stabilizer for almost a year and recently added one. I removed it within two weeks because it made the truck walk the road. If your parts are all right, you don’t need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doing the HD steering. No damper, then adding in the steering stabilizer. Which looks like I can just use the one meant for the truck I have 1400 worth of parts to order this week. Next weekend will be fun! I have to adjust the steering box play and order the bushing I think.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Evan said:

1400 in steering?

The mopar 2008.5+ is only 380

I wish, no. 1400 in steering, brakes, maintenance items. I just bought the truck so I'm replacing all the broken/warn out items. Working on finding the correct parking brake cables right now...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator

With my setup I'm at 410k miles. Now the first time I changed the tie rod ends was back at 350k miles. There isn't a real need for 3rd gen parts. The only trick to long life is staying away from oversized tire that add stress to these parts. I've used 235's and 245's sized tires for the life of the truck. To get 350k miles from the steering system is awesome without any braces, modifications, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm back! Ran into some financial troubles and couldn't pay the membership haha. The truck now has T steering. Still having issues, body mounts, shocks, still feels like the tires are not tight enough together. And I of course somehow moved my steering :) looking for a donor truck because the more I got into the rust issues with this cab, the worse it got. Pitch welds are expanded beyond "easy" repair. Front end is still wobbling and jumping around on me. Nothing is actually "loose" that I can see or feel. My next project is getting this thing jacked all the way up and dropping the suspension down to feel it without load.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

With my setup I'm at 410k miles. Now the first time I changed the tie rod ends was back at 350k miles. There isn't a real need for 3rd gen parts. The only trick to long life is staying away from oversized tire that add stress to these parts. I've used 235's and 245's sized tires for the life of the truck. To get 350k miles from the steering system is awesome without any braces, modifications, etc. 

i run 35" tires and did a lot of rock crawling and trail in colorado thus i needed beefier stuff :whistle:

 

 

 

10 hours ago, The_Jackale said:

I'm back! Ran into some financial troubles and couldn't pay the membership haha. The truck now has T steering. Still having issues, body mounts, shocks, still feels like the tires are not tight enough together. And I of course somehow moved my steering :) looking for a donor truck because the more I got into the rust issues with this cab, the worse it got. Pitch welds are expanded beyond "easy" repair. Front end is still wobbling and jumping around on me. Nothing is actually "loose" that I can see or feel. My next project is getting this thing jacked all the way up and dropping the suspension down to feel it without load.

start from the steering gear make sure its tight on the adjuster and the frame, then the balljoint for the steering linkage (make sure it isnt worn) then the tie rod end joints for play, then jack a tire up and see if the balljoints and or the unit hubs have play.

 

then check the trackbar for play on the frame side balljoint (common)

 

i noticed play in my steering recently and found the unit bearing had failed causing slack. i have also found everything listed above to have been worn and a contributor to slack.

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

 

start from the steering gear make sure its tight on the adjuster and the frame, then the balljoint for the steering linkage (make sure it isnt worn) then the tie rod end joints for play, then jack a tire up and see if the balljoints and or the unit hubs have play.

 

then check the trackbar for play on the frame side balljoint (common)

 

i noticed play in my steering recently and found the unit bearing had failed causing slack. i have also found everything listed above to have been worn and a contributor to slack.

 

So far, all new tierods, track bar, new bushings for the sway bar, it almost feels like the steering is okay (just slack from the box and possibly the shaft) Im almost wondering if my wheel is bouncing up and down like a damn basketball due to a really bad shock. I have a very very tiny bit of play in 1 ball joint, so those will be going on the list.

 

Another note, I have no front cab mounts (windshield is also cracked due to body drop) looking for a cab to swap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 1:29 PM, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

even a slight bit of play gets amplified through the mechanics so that one balljoint could be noticed.  how old is the hardware? (trackbar, TRE's, unit bearings etc?)

 

I have all new TREs, new track bar (600 miles). I lifted the truck last night and my passenger side upper is toasted its 2x as bad as it was 600 miles ago. Ive also had 3 trips with 2 yards of soil in the back, and over 1500 lbs of bricks.

 

 Looks like I'm also needing rotors soon. And I have a U-Joint that I can't hear clicking over the motor, but I'm sure its clicking, its loose. Going to have some fun on the press I reckon. All these components I believe were original oem, the trucks only had a couple owners. 243k now on the clock. Ill be pushing 270k by next year. I've always owned gas rigs, I only paid 3800 for the truck, I'm at 5200 now with parts, another 1k In the front end is going to have the frame solid, looking for a donor truck for a cab. The rust on this one was a lot deeper than I thought. I can pick up a gas truck in my area for 1k running with 180k miles or so, diesels are 9k to 15k. And usually logging trucks or farm and beat.

 

The truck was a death trap when I got it. Was all over the road. It was the most insane 55 mph roller coaster ride down the freeway that I have ever been on. Its well over 80% better than it was. Im looking at front bearings, rotor hubs(I think?) Pads, two Ujoints, 4 ball joints, 4 shocks, steering dampener that works on T style. It also has wheel spacers and the 2015 dodge 18s on there, which might be causing trouble also. 275/70/18 tires, inner fronts are bald. Looking at 1k for tires but the rears are fine, I may just do the fronts.

The truck was a death trap when I got it. Was all over the road. It was the most insane 55 mph roller coaster ride down the freeway that I have ever been on. Its well over 80% better than it was. Im looking at front bearings, rotor hubs(I think?) Pads, two Ujoints, 4 ball joints, 4 shocks, steering dampener that works on T style. It also has wheel spacers and the 2015 dodge 18s on there, which might be causing trouble also. 275/70/18 tires, inner fronts are bald. Looking at 1k for tires but the rears are fine, I may just do the fronts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

when i picked mine up in colorado in 2009, it was a ranch truck 150,000 miles. i was second owner. steering was loose and the filter looked original i was surprised it pulled air through...

i traded my 2001 1500 5.9Lv8 gasser for it, and then financed the rest. but this truck was hard to find even used at the time with a 6spd and diesel. so far what ive repaired on it....

 

injection pump $1600

lift pump $600

tuner $600

front ujoints $150

drive shaft support bearing $150

complete brake overhaul (minus front calipers and rotors)  $1000

clutch replacement $1500

engine rebuild $4500

both front hubs $290

rear diff seal $150

front axle seals $30

complete steering linkage replaced $350

track bar x 2 (i wore them out rock crawling with 35"s) $300

bhaf air filter with sock (still in top shape) $75

CCV mod (thanks moparman!) $20

driver door replacement (rusted out on the bottom) $150

batteries x infiniti.... haha $220

35" tires x5 tires $1600

 

im sure im forgetting something....

 

things still to be done

replace steering gear $300

upgrade to 3rd gen trackbar $500

replace transfer case seals $??

eventually replace the rusting bed in 20 or less years with a aluminum flatbed $a lot

reseal the cab (new door gaskets) $50

new headlights $???

 

luckily my frame is in top shape, no rust just dirty. the axles could use a sandblasting to get the surface rust off and then painted.

 

just got to keep up on things to make them last.   id rather have a vehicle that i know will run and is paid off and i can fix it than a new vehicle every 10 years and forever in debt.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My 3500 gasser I bought myself from someone up state NY back in 2004, it was used with welding and cutting gear on the back removing the mangled steel from the twin towers, it was shipped from New Jersey into Southampton UK,  my wife and I drove down there to pick it up, I drove it back maybe 300 miles...... absolute death trap, easily a 2 lane wanderer (our lanes aren't your width)  thing is before I bought it it was being used every day.

Quite funny really as I got it moved to Poughkipsie (not the right spelling) and got it loaded with other stuff for friends and others that paid to have their stuff shipped, I spent a week there sorting it all out.

It was supposed to come over in a container DOH....3500 rams do not fit in a shipping container

Anyway when it got here it was a 100% death trap and cost me over £1500 to put it right but it was still a cheap truck and it does not owe me a penny

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 12:08 PM, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

when i picked mine up in colorado in 2009, it was a ranch truck 150,000 miles. i was second owner. steering was loose and the filter looked original i was surprised it pulled air through...

i traded my 2001 1500 5.9Lv8 gasser for it, and then financed the rest. but this truck was hard to find even used at the time with a 6spd and diesel. so far what ive repaired on it....

 

injection pump $1600

lift pump $600

tuner $600

front ujoints $150

drive shaft support bearing $150

complete brake overhaul (minus front calipers and rotors)  $1000

clutch replacement $1500

engine rebuild $4500

both front hubs $290

rear diff seal $150

front axle seals $30

complete steering linkage replaced $350

track bar x 2 (i wore them out rock crawling with 35"s) $300

bhaf air filter with sock (still in top shape) $75

CCV mod (thanks moparman!) $20

driver door replacement (rusted out on the bottom) $150

batteries x infiniti.... haha $220

35" tires x5 tires $1600

 

im sure im forgetting something....

 

things still to be done

replace steering gear $300

upgrade to 3rd gen trackbar $500

replace transfer case seals $??

eventually replace the rusting bed in 20 or less years with a aluminum flatbed $a lot

reseal the cab (new door gaskets) $50

new headlights $???

 

luckily my frame is in top shape, no rust just dirty. the axles could use a sandblasting to get the surface rust off and then painted.

 

just got to keep up on things to make them last.   id rather have a vehicle that i know will run and is paid off and i can fix it than a new vehicle every 10 years and forever in debt.

 

 

 

 

I know that feeling for owning something rather than stuck in payments. For the same truck I have off the lot is a minimum of 7 grand. I'd rather it nickle and dime me to death knowing my mom is going into my pocket rather than the banks. 

 

You have almost a brand new truck!! When I do the cab swap I'm also doing all the electrical and making my dream truck, not a very big dream, I just want auto head lights, gps nav. Seat wamers, working cruise, auto start. Just some above stock features. I told my mom Id rather slowly put 45k into this than walk off the lot with a truck I can't even program. I learned how to work on all my stuff through forums 15 years ago after my dad passed away, he taught me a lot, but I wasn't old enough. 

 

Whats the ccv mod?

 

Im running 275/70/18s for wheels, I wouldn't go any bigger, but I may have a spare sent during hunting and fishing season for mud tires. 90% of my driving is pavement, but I went 4x4 because I like to go camping and I've got my old Dodge 1 wheel peel stuck over 10x and in less than an inch of mud.

 

Your post also made my wallet run and hide. Haha. I'm ordering ball joints this week.......what A pain. Thinking Napa.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...