• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

another 47re question

Yeah, that's a Cascade S3 converter. Cascade has been out of business for several years now. Not a terrible converter. I used to use them from time to time. They do tend to be on the tight side, but usually worked fairly well.

Scanning it will not tell you anything. Even if the TCC solenoid was commanded on, there's no oil at the TCC lockup valve until 2nd gear in a 47RE valve body. Again, the TV stop or TV cable will not have any affect on it.

Does the truck stall when put into reverse as well as forward gear?

• Like 1

Dynamic, just to be clear are you saying $1300 is cheap for a converter, (5yrs ago) or it's cheaply built, or? Either way, do you think it's ok to just live with it? Is there a way to test short of trying a different one?

Had an interesting conversation with prior owner the other day, (he works with a big maintenance crew up in Alaska) he told me he spoke with some very knowledgeable mechanics up there and they thought it was "sorta" normal, he said he even knew of a couple guys with the same converter with same issue.

He said if I plan on towing with, (I do) then don't swap it and just deal with it. Assuming it's just an inconvenience that's my plan because I love the way it shifts and hooks up otherwise.

On a side note, I told him how I spoke with freeman creek and how they "never heard of anything like this"  He thought pretty odd too since he clearly remembers discussing with them, so there's that .

Thanks again for any thoughts!

Well, not being able to drive the truck and feel the way the converter is working, I'm pretty much not in a position to give advice on what to do. I can offer suggestions and share experiences to a point, but I simply don't have enough information to steer you in the right direction. The VP44 is not the greatest fuel system that ever came on a diesel, so I tend to agree with the Alaska guys that it can be somewhat normal, and perhaps a price you pay for lowering the stall speed. I certainly have seen this scenario...many times, and it certainly is a consideration when choosing stall speed.

But $1300 for a Cascade S3 torque converter?? Ouch...

• Like 1