• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine revs all the way up on start up for a second then drops down to idle

Sam Witman

Hi I just finished a swap in my 1991 Chevy in which I put a 24 valve cummins and now when I go to start the truck it revs way up and then right to I’d and this all happens within like a second or 2 and I’m not sure what it is, has anyone experienced anything like this, any help is appreciated!

Oley. Welcome. I get through there quite a bit. Beautiful area.

Does it rev up all the way and then settle in to an idle and work fine after that? If so I would think a leaky injector(s) or turbo leaking fuel or oil respectively over time and burning that off on startup. A form of a runaway.

A 24v in a swap can be a chore with the electronics. How are you controlling the APPS? Not sure if you have a way to read codes but if you can start there.

Edited by dave110