• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fueling with a flatbed

I have a aluminum flat bed. The problem is my filler line is almost level to the tank and when I fill up I to run the pump very so to fast or it shoots fuel out, seems like an hour to fill the truck, never mind the fuel on the shoes. Any ideas to relocate the filler in another place. I maybe could raise the bed up but I like it a the height it is Any ideas, doesn't seem like a lot of trucks have flatbeds. Photos would be great.....thanks

• Owner

Look at the tank vent... I've had this issue with a Chevy Diesel fire truck what I found was the vent hose had a sag in it and the fuel would pool so hence the vent was plugged so as filed the tank it would displace the air and blow it on your leg... Well after ziptie and redoing the vent hose never had a problem.

I do see fuel coming out of the vent tube just below the fill hole when filling on level ground. When on vacation I filled at a pump that was higher on the fill side and lower on the passenger side and it filled with no problems, full speed notch and did not have to watch it, I need to get the vent higher, maybe get out the plasma cutter and put the filler in the bed.......thank

• 1 month later...

I do see fuel coming out of the vent tube just below the fill hole when filling on level ground. When on vacation I filled at a pump that was higher on the fill side and lower on the passenger side and it filled with no problems, full speed notch and did not have to watch it, I need to get the vent higher, maybe get out the plasma cutter and put the filler in the bed.......thank

That's what we had to do on our 2001 with the flatbed, we had to notch the top of the bed then just put a little flap over that...

Another idea would be to relocate the filler neck up on the headache rack. The problem with putting it in the bed is that if you have a load that covers the filler neck then it will be very difficult to fuel the truck. I have seen trucks with thin tanks at the headache rack and the vent is run up above the auxliary tank. It might need the return from the injection pump run into it. This would solve two problems, first the filling problem and second it would give you extra fuel storage.

• Like 1

One of my delivery trucks C4500 has a refer box on it and we have the same problem with it also one of our fire trucks K2500. What we have done is carry a block of wood with an angle cut into it so that we are able to drive the rear wheels up on it to gain a bit of more angle to the fuel flow. Sometimes a bit of a hassel but keeps from pouring fuel on the ground and your shoes plus fills faster.