• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A warning for DIY AC repair

flman

can you say, bad relief valve? the cheapo set of gauges i got at harbor freight broke on the second use. i thought i would just check the dodge. if memory serves i had ~40psi lowside, and ~255psi highside. as i was disconnecting the crimp on the high side blew off sending freon and oil all over the front end! the hoses said they were rated for 500psi! i took them back. the gauges seemed ok...but at $45, sometimes you get what you paid for

I think there is more to that explosion that just adding freon... * High side switch malfunction? * Moisture possibly in the system plugged the orfice tube? But that one good reason to have a manifold gauge set before you even think of adding freon.

Yeah, I was wondering why the HP switch did not cycle the clutch? Restriction will usually lower the head pressure since little or nothing is coming in through the suction line, for the compressor to pump. The only thing that will grenade that compressor is an over charge, with no means of relieving it. I had to scold my helper a week or 2 ago, I got a call back on a AC system that he "Topped Off". I connected my High side gauge, and it spun past the 500 PSI mark and broke my gauge. I asked him what the high side was when he charged it. He said he did not connect the high side. I said and that is why I am back here working for nothing. :nono: Lucky for us, the compressor has an internal relief that allows it to bypass in a high pressure condition. I ended up taking out 4 lbs. he topped it off with 2 lbs. So if you think auto AC repair is for amateurs, think again. That guy with the TDI should be so lucky he walked away when he did. :pray: Not too many things in life more dangerous then high pressure.

• Owner

Yes, but how do you know it is a problem, unless you connect a high side gauge? :shrug: You usually do not get a gauge and suggested pressures with the DIY kit.

I see what Flman getting at... He's talking about hose cheapy $30 kits with a low side gauge hose, can of freon and a can of oil. Being it doesn't cover the high side there is no way to see the amount of expansion the freon has created from heat. Or if the high side switch had failed (exceeding safe pressure levels). Now if the guy had a manifold gauge set he might never of added any freon... :shrug: (Maybe?)

• 1 month later...

I know this is somewhat of an old thread, but to me it looks to more of a mechanical failure than pressure. The compressor would do that if there was a BIG slug of liquid enter it. If there was vapor (like it is supposed to have) then the compressor would just compress it. For a big slug of liquid to enter the compressor the system MAY have been low, kicked out on the low pressure switch, and the can upside down to allow liquid from the can to enter the system. Once the liquid in the system started to boil it would increase the pressure to allow the low pressure switch to make turning the comp. on and try to compress liquid.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the things that I just do not tinker with when a problem comes up, is the air conditioning system. And though it is something that would be really simple to solve, there are a lot of components in it that when dealt with improperly, will cause more damages that would surely not appeal to you.So in as much as you would want to save more money by doing things on your own, you just have to go with those who are more experienced with it.

• 1 year later...