• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Holset Hx35 Turbo Rebuild Adventure - Tips and tricks are welcome

I decided to take a crack at this just becuase my turbo failed and I love a good 3d puzzle.

Please share any info you have that can:

1) teach me something

2) make the adventure easier

Any and all fun turbo stories are welcome!!

5967e46a92e98_2017-07-1316_15_52.jpg.6e1c2ce628679ce721d8d997672ec33e.jpgWell kit is $50 for holset, exhaust housing is the funnest part to get apart. Pb blast and some working on it does the trick. If it was brand new, it would be super easy to rebuild, not much to them. Need to be careful not to break tiny parts. Maybe take few pictures along the way as you disassemble it to help later. I used 2 1/4" flat pieces of steel and backed off bolts to pry it apart. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dieselfuture said:

5967e46a92e98_2017-07-1316_15_52.jpg.6e1c2ce628679ce721d8d997672ec33e.jpgWell kit is $50 for holset, exhaust housing is the funnest part to get apart. Pb blast and some working on it does the trick. If it was brand new, it would be super easy to rebuild, not much to them. Need to be careful not to break tiny parts. Maybe take few pictures along the way as you disassemble it to help later. I used 2 1/4" flat pieces of steel and backed off bolts to pry it apart. Good luck. 

Thank you sorry if this is a dumb question what is "Pb blast"?

Very clever prying technique.

• Thanks 1

You can get a balanced and ready to go center section for less than 400. If you rebuild check for wear in the bore where the seals set. End play causes the shaft to contact the seals which causes them to momentarily spin in the housing causing wear then a groove forms.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Great work! said:

You can get a balanced and ready to go center section for less than 400. If you rebuild check for wear in the bore where the seals set. End play causes the shaft to contact the seals which causes them to momentarily spin in the housing causing wear then a groove forms.

Awesome thank you!  Very helpful.