• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil gathering/slight leak under-hood. Vent bottle?

I have a small oil leak or two on my truck. The crank seal leaks a little and i think the timing cover gasket may be as well. I don't know for sure because I've yet to rip the front end off and take it all apart, because of my broken ratchets and lack of air tools. I am afraid that maybe my vacuum pump may in fact be one cause of oil seepage as well. I noticed a few weeks ago, that there was a slight "film" on a transparent fuse I have under-hood. I wiped it and it looked like it could have been exhaust leak collecting, but I now realize that it is some soft of oil hitting my radiator fan perhaps... Could this be? There is light oil gathering on the radiator hose that crosses from rad. to block on the bend. It is also gathering, right by the fan blade, on the reservoir.My vent tube seems to be leaking a drop after driving, but there is oil on a few things. So it is hard to decipher where it is coming from.Any advice would be awesome.1995 2500 4x4 5 speed fyi

The timing case cover bolts like to loosen up and then it all leaks, oil gets all over the front. The vent tube I think you are referring to is the blow by tube on the drivers side of the engine? That is for crankcase pressure and will usually condensate some oil on it so that is normal. The vacuum pumps get leaks in them too. You've probably listed the top things that will start leaking on these things so I bet it probably is them. The vacuum seal I have not done so I don't know how hard it is, to get the timing case all sealed up again you have to take the fan and damper off so the timing cover can be taken off. The crankshaft seal I think goes in from the back.

The timing case cover bolts like to loosen up and then it all leaks, oil gets all over the front. The vent tube I think you are referring to is the blow by tube on the drivers side of the engine? That is for crankcase pressure and will usually condensate some oil on it so that is normal. The vacuum pumps get leaks in them too. You've probably listed the top things that will start leaking on these things so I bet it probably is them. The vacuum seal I have not done so I don't know how hard it is, to get the timing case all sealed up again you have to take the fan and damper off so the timing cover can be taken off. The crankshaft seal I think goes in from the back.

First of all thanks for the response. I will check and see if any timing cover bolts are loose first thing tomorrow and then go from there. I would like to get my engine steam cleaned also so that I can be SURE before i order parts or take things apart. If I had another vehicle it would be different ha. Is there anything i should look into modifying on the vent? Also, some of these leaks were on the truck when I originally purchased it awhile back. BUT, there was never any residue on the radiator hose or reservoir, that look like they get sprayed exactly the same every time. Does this sound like any one thing in particular? And, what would you suggest I do bout this?

The vent (blow by tube) is fine on 12v's. The 24v guys actually move theirs to where ours is. It is inevitable to not have oil condensate in the tube. There might be a few ways but really it is normal and you shouldn't worry about it. The only thing that strikes me as a little odd is the oil on the fan. I suppose if you got just the right leak on that timing cover dripping into it, it could do it. Having it steam cleaned like you say would be a great idea. Sometimes oil leaks from a completely different spot but driving it makes it seem like it's from somewhere else. There is nothing around there that I can think of so I am just going to have to say it is picking up oil from one of the leaks around the timing case. Mine leaks and my fan never caught wind of it so that is why I am still wondering about it. Your blowby tube is in the back of the engine right? Nobody messed with it and put it in front of the injection pump gear?

The vent (blow by tube) is fine on 12v's. The 24v guys actually move theirs to where ours is. It is inevitable to not have oil condensate in the tube. There might be a few ways but really it is normal and you shouldn't worry about it. The only thing that strikes me as a little odd is the oil on the fan. I suppose if you got just the right leak on that timing cover dripping into it, it could do it. Having it steam cleaned like you say would be a great idea. Sometimes oil leaks from a completely different spot but driving it makes it seem like it's from somewhere else. There is nothing around there that I can think of so I am just going to have to say it is picking up oil from one of the leaks around the timing case. Mine leaks and my fan never caught wind of it so that is why I am still wondering about it. Your blowby tube is in the back of the engine right? Nobody messed with it and put it in front of the injection pump gear?

That is actually why I asked about the tube. Because I have read a few write ups INCLUDING one or two by Mike about vent tubes causing oil to hit the fan and get up in the radiator and clogging it with enough dust and dirt to cause cooling issues. I obviously don't have the vent bottle because it's 12v anyway. It's very frustrating because it is causing things under the hood to get a slight "film" of oil residue. Yeah it is dropped on the back left side it looks like. HMMM

I was gonna say, sounds exactly like the 24V tube issues they all have :lol:

Yeah it should just mist everything behind that tube, and hardly at that. You seem to have a mist of oil in the front of the engine. I wonder if that thing that screws into the front of the injection pump on the timing cover is loose. It just seems like something is loose that is causing the same effect that the blow by tube on 24v's do. So that means there must be something letting crankcase pressure out. I doubt the timing cover bolts are that loose, but you never know. I would be looking at everything up there to see if it is all tight. I think I read something about the vacuum pump messing up and pressurizing the crankcase, which if it had loose bolts, would cause it. Just check everything over tomorrow and let us know what you find. I will stare at mine tomorrow and see if I find any other areas to check.

Another thing to check is to make sure the vent tube is not restricted in any way. Also, take a look at the tube (by the starter) and see what it looks like when the truck is warmed up and idling. You should not see anything coming out.

I was gonna say, sounds exactly like the 24V tube issues they all have :lol:

Yeah it should just mist everything behind that tube, and hardly at that. You seem to have a mist of oil in the front of the engine. I wonder if that thing that screws into the front of the injection pump on the timing cover is loose. It just seems like something is loose that is causing the same effect that the blow by tube on 24v's do. So that means there must be something letting crankcase pressure out. I doubt the timing cover bolts are that loose, but you never know. I would be looking at everything up there to see if it is all tight. I think I read something about the vacuum pump messing up and pressurizing the crankcase, which if it had loose bolts, would cause it. Just check everything over tomorrow and let us know what you find. I will stare at mine tomorrow and see if I find any other areas to check.

Ha that is exactly what I thought. Seems strange that I cannot find a seepage or drip in reach of the fan, but it could be very minimal and just over time collecting. If you ever find out anything more about the vacuum pump causing change of pressure in the crankcase let me know. I'd be interested in finding out more about that. Something that is irregular? Either way tomorrow I am picking up some parts and will be working on it; I will check everything at the same time and see if I can't get smart or get lucky! Appreciate the info ISX :thumbup2:

--- Update to the previous post...

Another thing to check is to make sure the vent tube is not restricted in any way. Also, take a look at the tube (by the starter) and see what it looks like when the truck is warmed up and idling. You should not see anything coming out.

I will check that as well tomorrow, sometime. What would be my worst case scenario here with this vent, anyway?

I will check that as well tomorrow, sometime. What would be my worst case scenario here with this vent, anyway?

Worst case is the vent is blocked/plugged and blowing the dipstick out of the tube.

Worst case is the vent is blocked/plugged and blowing the dipstick out of the tube.

I don't think it is blowing the dipstick out of the tube. I was just looking at everything. There were a couple loose timing cover bolts. I hope the other ones aren't loose, that cannot be accessed without pulling things. Checked the oil pan bolts most were tight. I vent tube is very dirty on the outside I can't see through it, it's clear red tubing. When the truck was warm and was idling I looked down to see that, there was something coming out, I could barely see it at all, until sunlight hit it, then I could see a slight haze coming from the tube. Cleaned up some more oil, gonna watch the same spots to see if I can pinpoint this a little more... Damn oils supposed to stay IN the truck not get all over everything! :banghead: Haha

Front main looks to be bad, timing cover gasket bad, injectors leaking a little, ect. Oil hitting the harmonic balances and flinging off the fan pulleys, hence the oil mist everywhere. Just got back from my mechanics, he's gonna price out a day of work, that includes A LOT of engine oil cleanup and getting the radiator out along with alternator. Once, it's DE TARED we will continue on with the oil leaks, fixing and making sure there are no others. Then front axle is getting all new seals. $$$ Labor $$$Hopefully the writeup on the bill wont be too harsh. Need some money for that CLUTCH!

While he's got it all apart, make sure he takes care of the KDP.You might also want to price out a decent set of air tools and compare that to the labor quote. My rule of thumb is that I'll do my own work if the labor savings pays for all the tools I need to do the job right. If you do that for a couple years, you'll wind up with a pretty respectable set of tools.

While he's got it all apart, make sure he takes care of the KDP. You might also want to price out a decent set of air tools and compare that to the labor quote. My rule of thumb is that I'll do my own work if the labor savings pays for all the tools I need to do the job right. If you do that for a couple years, you'll wind up with a pretty respectable set of tools.

I will know prices tomorrow. Busy with move into a new home and lots of Dr. Appointments are delaying these fixes but as soon as I know how much he's charging I'll compare that to a set of air tools and compressor, which may actually be less seeing as how i have no compressor either. I could really use those air tools for other things too... :hyper:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't end up buying a compressor and set of air tools, I went with the less time consuming route of having me and my mechanic work on it. 4hrs of labor in $$$ couldn't buy tools or compressor anyway. We, replaced front main, timing cover, tabbed the KDP, cleaned the rest of front end/motor components, cleaned and replaced the front axle seals on the D60 and got my new calipers and pads installed. Took more like 6hrs in reality, because we had to fab up a seal press out of aluminum haha. But, it all worked out for the best :thumb1: