• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

MPG fooler question

I've done some research about adding a resistor to to the IAT connector as an MPG fooler.  Is this an acceptable method?  I wonder if it can affect anything in the engine when the outside temps are cold and the IAT is set at 143 degrees.

After thinking about it for a while, I bet an arduino could be used to ramp up the IAT while monitoring the ECT.  That could be an easy thing to do with a few relays and different resistors used to change the IAT.  Say when you start the truck and it's cold out, a relay could close and send the actual IAT temp out.  As the truck warms up, other relays could open/close and send out different resistor values.

Any thoughts on that or could I just use a single resistor in the IAT connector?  I wouldn't mind trying this on my trip to Texas next week.

Thanks

d

I put an adjustable resistor in mine a few years ago.  I set it at 143 degrees.  I check the resister every couple of months or so to make sure it hasn't changed - so far it has remained steady.  It has worked fine under all driving conditions and I don't get the heavy timing rattle on a cold engine.  My morning lows have been averaging 18 degrees for the past few days.

I experimented with the setting last year during the coldest part of the winter.  I set it at 180 degrees - no side effects.

- John

• Thanks 1

• Owner

Break point is 80°F. When IAT temperature dips below +80*F then the timing advances about 3° to 4°... This is where the poor fuel mileage comes from being high cetane fuel ignites early and fast adding timing on top of that is where the mileage drops out. You should retard the timing slightly for cetane. Not so much the cold air than what your local fuel is in cetane and then how much more cetane you add on top. More cetane the more retard the timing needs to be.