• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Will not run but will crank over

1999 dodge cummins, 5 speed, 4x4, duelly.The truck died going down the highway and will not start back. Truck has 210,000 milesno codesreplaced IAT sensorreplaced MAP sensorreplaced lift pumpreplaced filterreplaced vp44removed edge programmerwill start but not run on starting fluidbatteries goodgrounds cleanThe truck turns over but gets no fuel, lights work, dash works, intake heater worksIs it possible the cummins ecm died and if so can it be tested?

• Owner

Crack a injector line and check and see if the pump is pumping fuel. Trade the fuel pump relay in the PDC with something else to verify its getting power to the VP44. As for testing the ECM you would need what I call a "Cummins Cheater Box" which plugs into the VP44 and excludes the ECM. This should all the truck to start and if you toggle the high idle switch the VP44 should respond by going to 1,200 RPM's. This will prove the ECM is bad and the VP44 is fine.

• Like 1

Thanks,I tried the relay and nothing.We are on our way to the junk yard to borrower a computer and if it fixes it i guess on our way to buy a new one. The junk yard will not sell the computer with out buying the motor since it is attached. So we will take it off and put it back on. It nice to have friends in the junkyard!

Install a known good CKP. My 00 did that twice. 2nd replacement I went with lifetime aftermarket because the Cummins part lasted so short a time I thought "it couldn't possible be out again". It was. I normally don't throw parts but no start & no codes was CKP twice for me. Post back if that fixes it.

Well went by the dodge dealer and the only computer that will work is the exact on for the truck. The said it has to come from a 99, 4x4, diesel, manual trans truck. so no one has that computer, figures that's my luck.

Again, my 00 did exactly as you are describing. It cranked, fuel was getting to the VP but not to injectors. No codes. IF your 99 has a CKP, change it before looking at the ecm. The 01 used the CMP only but before that, engine had both CMP and CKP. I'm not sure when the change was made other than 01 deleted CKP. Pull the starter. Leave it connected to the wiring & set on rail. Remove CKP carefully so you don't break it off. Install CKP, reinstall starter & see if it will start. Many fewer dollars than a puter.

Again, my 00 did exactly as you are describing. It cranked, fuel was getting to the VP but not to injectors. No codes. IF your 99 has a CKP, change it before looking at the ecm. The 01 used the CMP only but before that, engine had both CMP and CKP. I'm not sure when the change was made other than 01 deleted CKP.

Pull the starter. Leave it connected to the wiring & set on rail. Remove CKP carefully so you don't break it off. Install CKP, reinstall starter & see if it will start. Many fewer dollars than a puter.[/quote

Thanks will do

1999 dodge cummins, 5 speed, 4x4, duelly.

The truck died going down the highway and will not start back. Truck has 210,000 miles

no codes

replaced IAT sensor

replaced MAP sensor

replaced lift pump

replaced filter

replaced vp44

removed edge programmer

will start but not run on starting fluid

batteries good

grounds clean

The truck turns over but gets no fuel, lights work, dash works, intake heater works

Is it possible the cummins ecm died and if so can it be tested?

Check fuse in #9 slot in fuse panel in the end of dash on drivers side!!!

Richie