• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My 1999 dodge diesel has been running fine except for rpms going up and down at 45 mph. Below that its fine and above that its fine. Thats just background info though. The truck just died. It cranks but wont start. I replaced the lift pump a while back as well as the throttle position sensor. Truck ran for a few months after that. I dont have a code reader and toggling the key does not generate any codes. Not sure where to turn to next. Any ideas? BTW the truck has 175k miles on it.

Welcome to the site... :thumbup2: 2 things you need information on... 1. Error Codes - Yes you got to get a code reader of some sort (98.5 and 99 din't have the key feature) 2. Fuel pressure - I highly suggest you mount a a gauge in the cab they are really cheap. ~$40

Ill go borrow a code reader. Where do I attach the fuel pressure guage?

• Owner

VP44 is dead... P1688 - Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controller Failure Internal problem within the fuel injection pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops. A tip... Any error code should be looked up in the manufacture factory service manual for that make and model so you get the right information about the error codes... Error code listing... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/obd2-error-codes/error-codes.pdf So sorry to say time to break out the check book... :spend:

• Owner

What does that mean? Do I pay you?

NO! I just here for the information... :stuned: You need to find a new injection pump like ISX said...

It means the injection pump electronics are done for and you have to get a new one. They are ~$1000-1500. This is probably the cheapest you will find it. http://www.dieselautopower.com/category_s/4.htm