• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bio Diesel

retirednak

We haven't ever had Bio Diesel for sale locally and I found a small start up company selling the Bio fuel today while searching for injectors for my truck. I know I'm not supposed to run 100% Bio,what % can I run with out causing issues? Truth be known,I don't know how its sold in the lower 48. With as much oil as we pump out of the ground here and all the technology floating around the state,I would have thought Bio fuel would have caught on long ago. I see the greenees driving the old Mercs,BMW's,VW's puffing french fry smell,so I know guys are making it in their garages. I hope this company makes it and we can finally start seeing it along side our diesel pumps.

For your truck I believe you can run up to B20 which is 20% biodiesel mixed with regular diesel. You could check your owners manual or check with the stealership. They can tell you what your max is without voiding any warranty that you may have left. Any place I've seen selling it is usally B20. Tylor

• Owner

B20 is the safe limit... I don't suggest use of it in the winter time either being the bio will turn solid and sink to the bottom of the tank typically. There is also something to be aware of is the BioDiesel in any DPF filter system are causing serious engine damage and the reason why is the period during the DPF regen the biodiesel is being pushed past the rind and diluting the engine oil. I've seen several reports now of VW and a few other makers revising oil change internvals to less than typical value to prevent engine damages... :stuned: The most recent article here is how Biodiesel creates 400% more emssions than normal petroluem diesel... :wow:

Tylor,I thought it might be 20%,but I didn't want to speak out and sound tarded if I was wrong. I'm not sure how this start up company is selling their fuel. Instead of starting a new thread,can you make a recommend? I'm thinking it may be time to replace the injectors in my truck. I was going to go with 50 hp upgrades,but after thinking about it further I'll stick to stock injectors. If I end up getting a bad 50 hp,I would be down at least a week waiting on the mail service both ways. Thanks-Casey

• Owner

Well if your looking for lubricity of the fuel then you'll only need B2 to exceed the requirement by a long shot. (221 HFRR) compared to petroluem diesel at (520 HFRR) then Bosch requesting (<400 HFRR). As for the injectors it best ot buy a set of injectors that don't require cores then if you need to diagnose a fuel problem you KNOW that your old stock injectors are just fine...

• Owner

Tidbit... Orignal article here... http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:YvbbijNC9ycJ:www.stocksy.co.uk/articles/Cars/diesel_particulate_filters_dpfs_and_rising_oil_levels_the_uk_government_demonstrates_the_law_of_unintended_consequences/+%5Cbiodiesel+engine+problems+dpf&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

As surely as night follows day, problems occurred. A moment ago, I said that some diesel used in DPF regeneration can dilute the engine oil, but will evaporate away over time. Biodiesel turns out to be less volatile than petrochemical diesel, so it sets up a permanent home in the sump. Over time this causes the engine oil level to steadily rise. In some cases, the oil level has risen so high that it begins to enter the combustion chamber, causing the engine to run on its own oil and an uncommanded increase in engine RPM. In some cases, this increase in RPM has been so severe that it has caused a runaway situation. Here is an account of a Fiat 500 owner on Fiat's own web site, detailing how their engine was completely destroyed by oil contamination

Another article http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/article.jsp?article_id=2290 Another article from my site... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/showthread.php/2158-Biofuels-emit-400-percent-more-CO2-than-regular-fuels?highlight=biodiesel And the damaging effects of poor biodiesel http://forum.mopar1973man.com/showthread.php/93-Bio-Diesel-and-the-effects...?highlight=biodiesel

I am a long time user of B20 (in the Fords) and never had a problem. Here we have B2 at one station and B20 at another. I have run about 4 tanks of B20 through my Dodge. I don't believe the 400% worse emissions. As a matter of fact, I have gone through emissions with flying colors on B20 multiple times with very little smoke on the puff test with my old 96 Powerstroke. Much much cleaner with B20 than #2.I think Dodge always stood by B2 max. Their problem is the B20 - B100 not meeting certain standards (home brew stuff). All stations I know of meet certain biodiesel standards, the same as the official B2 stuff. Can't remember the acronym for the standard off the top of my head.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

B5 is the limit that Dodge has approved for all the trucks (I don't recall what happened in '10). The 3rd gen is allowed to run B20 (Gov't, Commercial, Fleet) with improved fuel filtering. The B20 "kit" includes an improved lift pump, additional 10um f/w separator, WIF sensor, and fuel heater.

The lift pump really isn't needed, and 10um filtration is nice but a good 20um f/w sep will do the trick. The heater and sensor are a nice to have.

A filter like the one below will allow you to run more than B5. If you want to run more than B20 I would do a little more for f/w filtration.

I have run B20 twice, once it gelled like no tomorrow (with ample additive, or so I thought), the other was in AZ and the truck ran great, good mileage, quiet, higher fuel pressure.

Posted Image