• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sway Bar Diameter ??

What should have been a 15 minute maintenance job has turned into hours of frustration. Leave it to me. Putting in new suspensionmaxx end links and figured I’d replace the 22 year old sway bar bushings while I was at it. Measured my sway bar, 34mm. Ok, go to parts store, figure even they can’t mess up non critical bushings too bad. They send me home with a set. Huge gap, 5mm, called the parts store they said it’s normal.  I’ve never done a feasibility study on polyurethane, but I don’t think these are right, no way they’ll torque closed. Even online all I can find are 30, 32, and sometimes 33mm bushings for these trucks. I. Really don’t think it’s an aftermarket bar. Anyone have a lead on a proper set of bushings, and anyone else have a 34mm sway bar? Btw, the old bushings were fine, I should have left them alone. 

17313F61-912A-4B1A-92FC-7FFBB0A4B628.jpeg

Edited by Andyba20

You say there is a large gab.  Can you post a measurement of the gap.  Can't look at a photo and know what the gap is.

Does the bracket that fits around the bushing slip over the bushing easily, or is it a struggle to get it over the bushing?  If it is the latter, then the gap will probably close.  It's kind of like piston rings - you can't judge the end gap when the rings are removed from the cylinder.

- John 

I think that you are probably okay with the installation.  As long as the anti-sway bar fits snugly, it should perform fine.  If there is too much squeeze pressure on the bushing, then the bushing would just distort.  If, after some driving miles, should you see some play, it looks like you could easily add a flat shim to take up any looseness.  

- John

One the left side, the side that's up against the frame, is that a gap I can see, they should have some crush and I would expect to see a gap, maybe an 1/8th or so bracket to frame  with the bolts just hand tight or just up to the bracket then as they are tightened there is the crush, if there is no crush then the bar will move in the bracket  yes it has to turn in the bracket a little but that's it and if they were rubber bushes they would be somewhat squashed

If you installed the bracket and it sat right close to the frame before tightening they are too loose, and with those nylon or whatever material they are bushes they sometimes cause an annoying squeak when first fitted as they are tight, WD40 usually sorts this out then they wear/bed in after a while

Put a good lever in between the bolt head and the bar top right of your picture, if there is any movement they are too loose and as tractorman says a shim between the bush and the frame will tighten it up nice

• Like 1