• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck starts to move when clutch pedal pressed (master/slave cylinder?)

Hey guys! It seems my truck problems are coming in pairs :(

Yesterday when I was driving home, I came to a stop light, and completely stopped. The light was soon to turn green, so I pressed in the clutch, and moved the gear shifter to 2nd... suddenly the truck started to roll and wouldn't stop moving forward! Thankfully the light turned green and I was able to resume driving home. The clutch felt spongy afterward. 

I then drove around a small parking lot at low speed, coming to a stop, then taking off...  and found that sometimes from a dead stop, when I pressed in the clutch pedal, shifted into second, and waited, the truck would randomly starting rolling forward even though the clutch pedal was pressed. 

After reading and researching, it sounds like this could be a bad maser or slave cylinder or air bubble. Or maybe a clutch "throw out bearing?" Perhaps even the clutch itself???

I was going to start by replacing the whole master/slave assembly with one of the Southbend kits unless you had some other insight or suggestions? 

Sounds like textbook leakage past the O-rings in the master or slave.

Throw out bearing would have growling noises, and unless the bearing was bad enough to move front and back, would have very little impact on the clutch in the way you are describing.

Pilot bearing on the other hand, could cause the lack of dis-engagement. Usually has a grinding/growling noise associated with it though. 

37 minutes ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

Sounds like textbook leakage past the O-rings in the master or slave.

Throw out bearing would have growling noises, and unless the bearing was bad enough to move front and back, would have very little impact on the clutch in the way you are describing.

Pilot bearing on the other hand, could cause the lack of dis-engagement. Usually has a grinding/growling noise associated with it though. 

I appreciate the input. So I should probably just replace that whole Master/Slave cylinder unit with something like https://www.genosgarage.com/product/HYD-X-150/engine-replacement-parts-2 ?

@Silverwolf2691 @Mopar1973Man thanks for all the help so far guys. That video you have on YT really helped. I got everything installed tonight but had one quick question.

I bought the south bend kit, and on the slave cylinder(?) there's a black plastic piece on the end... Does this piece need to stay on? Or should I try and remove it? (Of course keeping the white plastic tabs so the piston remains compressed...)

Also, is there and Up and Down position? I was just gonna put the writing facing down towards ground.

IMG_20220406_200400266_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220406_200406111_HDR.jpg