• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Questions on 04 Cummins

jlwelding

My son and I are new to the 04 modles, my son went from a 01 to a 04 and we are trying to learn the ropes so to speak. Can any of you help out with things like what are the sensors on the air box? What can we get rid of and has to stay. Truck is a 04 3/4 ton auto trans and 4" exhaust with a proformance muffler, the rest is stock.

I am in the process of buying a 2005 3/4 quad cab diesel. It is extremely clean with 180k miles.When i went to buy it, it was hard to start. They found it had a bad injector. replaced it and it runs great.I am going to pay for it today, and I am wondering if there is some advice you all can give me as far as what to look for, to avoid buying the money pit.I know a litttle about diesels, so I am not completely ignorant. I had to lemon law my 2007 Mega cab 6.7. Great truck, bad emmissions.Any advice as to what I should look for, before I write the check, would be greatly appreciated. 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab LWB. gooseneck hitch in the bed.great oil pressure, normal temps and electrical charge.little smoke comes out of the oil cap hole at idle, but doesnt look out of the norm. Thanks,Chris

turn the key to the run position three times fast and check the codes...start in the off postion and go ..off run,off run,,off run and leave it in the run position and look where the digital odometer is..hope this helps.thoses are a 325 horse/600 ft.lbs of tor trucks...they run good!!:thumbup2:

--- Update to the previous post...

check the turbo for excessive shaft play..they may have taking care of the truck and they may have been hard on it..the dealerships can make them look brand new.

--- Update to the previous post...

oh and welcome to mopar's awesome site that he has created!!!:thumbup2:

I am in the process of buying a 2005 3/4 quad cab diesel. It is extremely clean with 180k miles. When i went to buy it, it was hard to start. They found it had a bad injector. replaced it and it runs great. I am going to pay for it today, and I am wondering if there is some advice you all can give me as far as what to look for, to avoid buying the money pit. I know a litttle about diesels, so I am not completely ignorant. I had to lemon law my 2007 Mega cab 6.7. Great truck, bad emmissions. Any advice as to what I should look for, before I write the check, would be greatly appreciated. 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab LWB. gooseneck hitch in the bed. great oil pressure, normal temps and electrical charge. little smoke comes out of the oil cap hole at idle, but doesnt look out of the norm. Thanks, Chris

Replacing just one injector is a crap shoot. If one is bad it will not be long before all are bad. They should have replaced all of them as a set. So be prepared for more injector failures at that milage. I personally would not take possesion having done only one injector unless they can prove the mileage is low on the rest of them.

what is the status of running the valves?your said it had a gooseneck hitch in there so it has seen some pulling whether or not is was on flat ground or not.the engine has had some load on it.so maybe hay hauling 40 foot sticks of pipe,backhoe's..etc etc..you never know.i would run the valves or if your not comfortable doing it..take it to the nearest cummins shop and have the boys run them for you.if they are loose it is gunna be loud and tick tick all the time...loose valves won't close all the way and to tight of valves are gunna slamm into the valve seat...when there are run correctly it should perform better and be more quite.yesterday we was getting ready to fire up heavyd1980's truck..it is a '98.5 and i ran the valves they were all out a tiny amount...and #6 intake and exhaust valves were out the most.put the valve cover back on and him and his wife and my wife totally agreed that it quitend down the engine alot.that is a very overlooked process.just my 2 cents of thought.hope this helps you.:thumbup2:

• 2 weeks later...

I got to listen to truck today and there is a click going on somewhere. I added 2 stroke and no change It has to be valvue or injector. I hear these motors are quiet so there is a click going on here. 120K on motor

You have not said if it is a 04 or a 041/2