• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bear hunting rifles

Anybody living up in bear country on here have any big guns to show off? Decided to dust my winchester model 70 off...... and shot about 24 dollars down the barrel (3 shots hahahaha) Still has the made in usa sticker on the barrel, so as you can see it doesn't get taken out of my gun safe very often. :hyper: just thought I would take a few pics of it and the cartridge, probably not very many folks have one this big. It's a .416 remington mag. Surprisingly, it kicks less than a 12 gauge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dang! Is that what you go deer hunting with? lol Very nice!

thnx, i would recommend winchester, they are well built. Nah haven't taken this one deer hunting yet.... it would drop one quick though I think! 400 grain bullet drops like a rock after 200 yards so it would be great for close range. Usually go with my old browning a-bolt in .300 win mag for deer. Fun stuff. You hunt any?

400 grain! hahaha We have a 300 ultra mag and I can't remember what grain it is. I know the bullets come in 3 power levels but I know it isn't near 400. My dad goes elk hunting all the time, I have never gone with him. He keeps telling me he always shoots them 100 yards away. I shoot things 100 yards away with my open sight 30/30. One of the most fun things I like to do is get the open sight single shot 22 and throw a golf ball 50-75 yards out and shoot it. Single shot means the bullets last longer lol. Anyhow the whole elk at 100 yards just seems like shooting at a barn to me. I shot at a deer that was running full blast 2 years ago and dad thought there was no way I could have hit it. A couple months later we saw the same deers skeleton a little bit into the woods in the direction it had ran :rolleyes: I would go elk hunting if I could take the 30/30 but since it doesn't have a scope my dad thinks it is worthless. To each his own I guess lol.

400 grain! hahaha We have a 300 ultra mag and I can't remember what grain it is. I know the bullets come in 3 power levels but I know it isn't near 400. My dad goes elk hunting all the time, I have never gone with him. He keeps telling me he always shoots them 100 yards away. I shoot things 100 yards away with my open sight 30/30. One of the most fun things I like to do is get the open sight single shot 22 and throw a golf ball 50-75 yards out and shoot it. Single shot means the bullets last longer lol. Anyhow the whole elk at 100 yards just seems like shooting at a barn to me. I shot at a deer that was running full blast 2 years ago and dad thought there was no way I could have hit it. A couple months later we saw the same deers skeleton a little bit into the woods in the direction it had ran :rolleyes: I would go elk hunting if I could take the 30/30 but since it doesn't have a scope my dad thinks it is worthless. To each his own I guess lol.

That is awesome! :thumbup2::thumbup2: I like going iron sight too... I have a sight on my tank killer gun though, but you would want to come find me and beat me in the face if i posted a picture of that gun and said how much money I paid for it...hint...it is bigger than anything in .40 caliber hahaha and is semi automatic. Haha I would have went looking for that deer if I were in your shoes, food for a month! What I live on pretty much, that and wild hog, I process my own kills from field to freezer.

If I had to choose a rifle for "EVERYTHING"...........deer, bear, elk, moose, people, etc., it would be the .375 H&H Magnum. My small rifle would be the .308 Winchester. All that said, I love my .17HMR Savage.

.375 hh will kill anything, that is a sure thing! :thumbup2: pics bud pics hahaha i love all guns!

The reason for shooting Elk at 100 yards is that you rarely find them in the open or in clearings, they are usually in the forrest and 100 yards shooting through the trees is a long shot for an elk. I have a 30-06, 7mm rem mag 270 and 22-250. I use the 22-250 for everything especially deer.

i drop deer with my .270, but have recently fell in love with my new compound bow. they changed the laws about hunting with a crossbow. before you had to be disabled and have a doctor write a letter that says you could not physically draw a bow. now anyone can use them. my keltec p11 only leaves my side when i bathe. during black powder, i shoot grandpa's .45i been considering getting an AR, but the children need diapers.

i drop deer with my .270, but have recently fell in love with my new compound bow. they changed the laws about hunting with a crossbow. before you had to be disabled and have a doctor write a letter that says you could not physically draw a bow. now anyone can use them. my keltec p11 only leaves my side when i bathe. during black powder, i shoot grandpa's .45 i been considering getting an AR, but the children need diapers.

Oh yeah an AR would suuwwweeet.... Didn't know that about the crossbow rules.... I don't have one but think that would be a pretty fun toy. What kind is your new compound bow? I got a Z7 Matthews and a couple old junker pse's... You been out in the woods this year any yet??

Oh yeah an AR would suuwwweeet.... Didn't know that about the crossbow rules.... I don't have one but think that would be a pretty fun toy. What kind is your new compound bow? I got a Z7 Matthews and a couple old junker pse's... You been out in the woods this year any yet??

i had to hock my hoyt in feb. i traded work for a high country sniper. its a older bow, but it fits me like a glove. when my buddy bought it, it had wedges in and was at 90pounds. i couldn't draw that sucker back. i estimate i have it at ~60 and love it. matthews Z7 is one of the fastest. my grandpa hurt his back at work and cut his pinky, ring, and middle finger off five or six years ago(they managed to reattach them, but has very limited use of that hand). he had to pay for a crossbow license. now anybody can use'm. i've seen a lot of people at bass pro shop, picking out their new toys. but if it has a rifle scope and a trigger, is it really archery?

i had to hock my hoyt in feb. i traded work for a high country sniper. its a older bow, but it fits me like a glove. when my buddy bought it, it had wedges in and was at 90pounds. i couldn't draw that sucker back. i estimate i have it at ~60 and love it. matthews Z7 is one of the fastest. my grandpa hurt his back at work and cut his pinky, ring, and middle finger off five or six years ago(they managed to reattach them, but has very limited use of that hand). he had to pay for a crossbow license. now anybody can use'm. i've seen a lot of people at bass pro shop, picking out their new toys. but if it has a rifle scope and a trigger, is it really archery?

Awesome, yeah 90 pounds you would have to go into beast mode to draw that back.... :ahhh: Got her all sighted in and ready to go? H& H gun range is still workin on the expansion but when it gets done that will be a top notch place to go shoot if you live in the city. Highly recommend one :thumbup2: Fast and quiet! Sorry to hear about his fingers... I lost my ring finger and middle finger in a hay baler 1 1/2 years ago... Trying to pull out a wad of grass and my girlfriend [at that time haha] hit the pto engage knob "accidentally" and they sheared clean off going between the drum and belts, I think it was because she was an idiot. Complaining about the heat so i said go sit in the tractor cab, blast the air and stop whining to me about it. She had the attention span of a prairie dog or hamster so I assume she wanted to play with the buttons. Hmmm... yeah I am not real sure how I feel crossbow hunting vs. compound bows and recurves.... Does kinda seem like they should be allowed only during rifle weeks maybe...very similar to rifle hunting it seems like....

Out here in CO cross bows are only legal during rifle season which is IMHO the way it should be unless like stated ^^^ medical reasons or such. As for guns have a couple 12ga shotguns a .270 remington a .243 Savage (wifes) a handful of .22's, 9mm Hi point(beater gun couldnt see payin high $$$ for one that rides around in the truck all the time and knocked around in the woods), a .357 Ruger Blackhawk, .380 auto again wifes, and my most favorite of all pride and joy Ruger M77 22-250 with varmint barrel and 10x60 scope bi pod and night spotlight on it can reach out there and touch them coyotes which it is just about time around here to get out and start calling. And then a PSE compound that i still shoot all the time that i bought when I was 14 lol but still a damn good bow and gets the job done. But sorry no pics i will try to get one later of my 22-250 tho and post

Awesome, yeah 90 pounds you would have to go into beast mode to draw that back.... :ahhh: Got her all sighted in and ready to go? H& H gun range is still workin on the expansion but when it gets done that will be a top notch place to go shoot if you live in the city. Highly recommend one :thumbup2: Fast and quiet!

the previous owner could draw it at 90 pounds. he said every shot would punch through. he said he could hit coffee can lids at 50 and 60 yards. 90lbs is too much for me. i'd spook the deer before i got it back. as for h&h, i talk to a lot of law enforcement. not one has said ANYTHING nice about h&h. i cannot say anything first hand, as i only went there to take my hunter's education class(when i was 13 maybe). i would stay away from TABE's in shawnee. most people steer me to oklahoma archery in del city. i need to shoot a z7 and see if its all that. i just got sticker shock and walked away.

Hmmm... yeah I am not real sure how I feel crossbow hunting vs. compound bows and recurves.... Does kinda seem like they should be allowed only during rifle weeks maybe...very similar to rifle hunting it seems like....

well, your not going to get 100-300 yrd shots, so the folk that only hunt rifle season probably won't come out. its always the same people, year after year, filling there limit. they are going to fill their tags, why not let them shoot what they want?

--- Update to the previous post...

and my most favorite of all pride and joy Ruger M77 22-250 with varmint barrel and 10x60 scope bi pod and night spotlight on it can reach out there and touch them coyotes which it is just about time around here to get out and start calling.

the only good coyote is a dead coyote

I don't see any difference between a crossbow and compound bow. They are both quiet :lol: As long as it doesn't make noise, let them shoot it during bow season. I got a bow this year but I haven't shot anything with it. Mainly just shoot targets 60-80 yards away. I don't think I even have anything other than the target practice arrows. I have the bow tightened all the way down which is 80lbs. I can only shoot it 10 times before I can't pull it back any more lol

the previous owner could draw it at 90 pounds. he said every shot would punch through. he said he could hit coffee can lids at 50 and 60 yards. 90lbs is too much for me. i'd spook the deer before i got it back. as for h&h, i talk to a lot of law enforcement. not one has said ANYTHING nice about h&h. i cannot say anything first hand, as i only went there to take my hunter's education class(when i was 13 maybe). i would stay away from TABE's in shawnee. most people steer me to oklahoma archery in del city. i need to shoot a z7 and see if its all that. i just got sticker shock and walked away.

well, your not going to get 100-300 yrd shots, so the folk that only hunt rifle season probably won't come out. its always the same people, year after year, filling there limit. they are going to fill their tags, why not let them shoot what they want?

--- Update to the previous post...

the only good coyote is a dead coyote

I haven't had any problems with 'em, bought 5 guns now from there, they have remodeled and now have a massive selection of firearms. Yeah OK archery is good, another good one is davenport's in prague that is where i got my z7. Place down in Ada called baileys outdoor on broadway street will let you shoot any bow they sell, even the z7's, hoyt element etc nice bows.

It don't make me a bit of difference either way, just my opinion I have never been out with a crossbow let alone shot one more than a few times so i really can't speak.