• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Odd no start issue

I posted this on the Cummins forum and thought I'd post here hoping to get some answers/ideas:  

So my '01 has started with no issues in the year that I've had it. Today I pulled into the paint store and upon returning to the parking lot, the truck started for about 2 seconds, 5 times in a row then nothing but the starter spinning. I could hear the fuel pump run and had 20 psi on my fuel gauge while trying to start. I called the tow company and was waiting for 30 min or so and remembered that Mike here on the forum had told me a few months ago, when I had a no start issue after installing my PacBrake unit,  to toggle the lock/unlock on the key fob. I did that and the truck started right up!

So, my concern is: do I have a VP44 pump on its way out and the key fob thing was just a fluke or was it the fob needing reset? The truck did start 5-6 times for just a few seconds before it finally failed to fire at all. This makes me think its a new intermittent inj pump issue. Any thoughts? Has anyone had an issue like this before??

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

When you say nothing but starter spinning I am assuming the starter is cranking the motor over but it is just not firing off?

Yep, it initially spun over and started for just a few seconds/died and it did this 5-6 times.  After that, the starter just spun the engine but it never fired.

13 minutes ago, Andyba20 said:

Sounds similar to what my truck did when the crankshaft positioning sensor went bad, but your 01’ might be different than my 2000. It threw a code though. 

I'll put my code reader on it tomorrow although it doesn't show a check engine light. 

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Do you have a pacbrake wiring diagram so we can see what flipping it on and off would do?

The guy at BlueChip Diesel had me unplug the the center module on the firewall on the passenger side of the truck as some of the PacBrake stuff tied into the wiring harness going to that module.  Between doing that and then unlocking my truck with the fob, I cured my crank but no start issue a few months ago that I experienced when I installed the PacBrake.  Today I pulled in my code reader (no check engine light tho) and got code 1689 and 1689pd?

PacBrake install/wiring info: https://pacbrake.com/wp-content/uploads/L5913.pdf

4 hours ago, Me78569 said:

It's a reasonable thought that the pac brake could be the cause, it looks like it connects to the data link ?

Yes it does. I also have my Quad ADR to hook up. Am I getting too many upgrades under the hood and I'm potentially giving my self issues?