• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Timing Cover Redemption

I took the timing cover off to get some pics of the KDP and show everyone how to get down to that point. Before putting the cover back on though, I decided I better do something with that 2 tone piece of crap. I don't know who painted the engine black when the underlying paint is tan. Cummins stock paint color is tan so I think dodge may have just gave it a black coat so we couldn't see oil leaks. Anyhow I had chevy orange here (if you remember my trans) and I almost used it but I knew you all would send me to hell if I posted a pic of that, so I went out and got some red and got it all painted. Theres about 20 coats on it so hopefully it will last :lmao2: I figured I better wait overnight before I touch it because of all the coats so I will put it on tomorrow and get the article done and up. It will be partially on how to keep it from ever leaking again too.

post-45-138698170914_thumb.jpg

you should do the valve covers while your at it:thumb1: seriously, it looks good. you will be able to see leaks for sure (and blow-by mist from the crankcase vent)

I will get to the valve covers eventually. Everyone has red ones and I think its a little too flashy. Thinking of making it a little more dull, like silver maybe. My blow by is at the back of the block where Mikes blowby tube mod is. They are back there stock on 12v's.

Better not be any imperfections! That thing was perfect last time I looked. The weird spot is just it reflecting things cause it's so shiny lol. I actually am getting a couple articles in one out of this. Kind of anyways. Just throwing in a million tidbits so that the thing will seal good since the timing cover is probably one of the top 5 things that loves to leak oil, if not top 2.

This has got to be the best thing of any part of the engine that you could paint. It is just unreal how it makes the engine look.

Awesome!

What kind of silicone you go with? Man I have terrible luck, every single time I pull that cover off, the crank seal takes a dump. I hope you have better luck!

--- Update to the previous post...

And what exactly is the paint you used? I want my whole motor to look like that. Did you sand it or just pressure wash.

After talking with some guys I told them I was planning on using "The Right Stuff" but they said that would be #2 on their list and number one would be this stuff international makes. They said this is the "for the stuff that loves to leak" stuff. It forms just as fast as the right stuff, not that 24 hour crap. So you put the bead around it and put it on as fast as you can and tighten them all finger tight, wait 5 min, then tighten them all down to torque. I ran a tap through every single bolt hole and wire brushed every single bolt so that the threadlocker would do it's job better. I figure the leaking timing cover is 50/50 between a bad gasket/silicone or loose bolts. They swear it will never leak again using this international stuff, guess we will see. The paint is "universal red" I think. Just the standard 500F stuff you get at NAPA. I power washed it and just took some 200grit sandpaper and roughed it all up. I would use primer on it first if I were you, I am just cheap lol.

post-45-138698170953_thumb.jpg

After talking with some guys I told them I was planning on using "The Right Stuff" but they said that would be #2 on their list and number one would be this stuff international makes. They said this is the "for the stuff that loves to leak" stuff. It forms just as fast as the right stuff, not that 24 hour crap. So you put the bead around it and put it on as fast as you can and tighten them all finger tight, wait 5 min, then tighten them all down to torque. I ran a tap through every single bolt hole and wire brushed every single bolt so that the threadlocker would do it's job better. I figure the leaking timing cover is 50/50 between a bad gasket/silicone or loose bolts. They swear it will never leak again using this international stuff, guess we will see. The paint is "universal red" I think. Just the standard 500F stuff you get at NAPA. I power washed it and just took some 200grit sandpaper and roughed it all up. I would use primer on it first if I were you, I am just cheap lol.

Awesome. Where did you find that stuff at? Never seen that before. Cummins make some like that but it is 40 bucks for 10oz tube so no thanks hahaha.

I scratched it up really good with sandpaper. I wanted to prime it but, eh. We'll see if it lasts. I didn't prime my tranny and didn't scuff it up or anything and it only has maybe 4 coats on it and is holding up really good. The reason for 20 coats was to fill in all those damn nicks of black paint that showed the tan underlying paint. They were really deep. I think it will take a week to dry, it wasn't even dry to the touch 12 hours later and it was supposed to be after only an hour. I didn't even drive it because I want it to dry some more. Just leave it in that spot for a week lol.