• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AC leak locating

I need to find my AC leak. it only works for about a week. I replaced the evap several years ago and hope that I don't have to do that again.

I have a sniffer but can't find a leak and it has dye in the system and I used the special UV light and glasses and not seeing it.

starting to think compressor shaft or evap again.

I saw an isolating kit 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FConditioning-Automotive-Detector-Detection-Compressor%2Fdp%2FB07TYCT8M7&psig=AOvVaw3rwrF9QbMclVBmsU7ayrgG&ust=1685844090532000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA8QjhxqFwoTCJik39aApv8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAF

Maybe some old fashioned corks would work just as well. I have a home brew vacuum pump and a small hand pump too for testing.

I chased a very slow leak I couldn’t find for a long time. First replaced the condenser, which was part of the problem, but ultimately it was replacing the line with orifice tube that fixed mine. Been leak free for 5 years. 

• Owner

From my experience, a lot of times the front seal of the compressor starts to fail with a slow leak that can't be sniffed or see any UV dye being the pulley slings the dye off and covers the dye with dust and dirt that makes it impossible to see. Really can't sniff behind the pulley while the compressor is running. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah! I have AC again. The compressor was empty not a drop of oil in it and no compression. The orifices pipe was clogged the whole system was empty, found a very small leak at the low pressure switch. Flushed the whole system. New compressor had 6 oz. Of oil already installed I added another oz to the new accumulator.

• Like 3