• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2006 Dodge - Thor - Track Bar issues

• Owner

Hey there gang...

I ran into a clunking noise that was associated with the track bar which we can see the bar moving. After inspection of the bar which Mark did for me. Come to find out that the track bar was not properly tightened last time it was installed. It managed to wear a little bit and was banging back and forth on the bolts. Bushing appear to be fine but was capable of moving just a bit and making a clunk. Now after just  looking it over and reinstalling and getting the bolts tight, the clunk is gone now. Thor is going to be hauling a trailer today and then returning. My renter Mark is going to make the run for me so I can handle chasing parts for the other job I've got here. 

I figured I would share this tidbit so you might want to check suspension tightness to ensure it's not a replacement problem but make sure the hardware is properly tightened.

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Come to find out that the track bar was not properly tightened last time it was installed. It managed to wear a little bit and was banging back and forth on the bolts

Good catch on your part.  I think this happens more frequently than is ever mentioned.  This type of bushing contains two parts.  They each have their purpose.   One part is a flexible bushing that is intended to flex and absorb energy.  The other part is an internal steel sleeve that is slightly wider than the bushing.  Its purpose is to ensure the assembly can be clamped with enough force between two steel ears that the steel sleeve will never move.

This type of bushing is also used for leaf spring hangers and shackles as well as some shock absorber mounts.  Proper torque for the fastener may be set correctly, but this does not guarantee that the ears (usually welded onto the frame or axle) are bending enough to reach their full clamping force on the inner steel sleeve of the bushing.  For this reason I usually torque the fastener to a higher value to ensure good clamping force.  I follow up with an inspection after a couple of thousand miles to check for tightness.

@Mopar1973Man, since the track bar connection on your truck has been loose for awhile, the steel sleeve and / or ear mounts will wear some, possibly removing material.  This will make it harder to attain the clamping force when the fastener is re-tightened.  I recommend inspecting the connection again after a few hundred miles.

- John

Edited by Tractorman