• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

DIY/AM Fuel Filter Housing

Does anybody have a good recommendation for a DIY or aftermarket fuel filter setup for a 2000? A few months ago I replaced a leaky drain valve with a new one from Geno’s, but I still don’t really trust it. Also, the internals for the wif sensor and fuel heater were both crusty and non functional. I prefer to keep things simple and stock but I don’t wanna worry about leaks, plus that canister is a pain to get off and on. I have a Raptor 4G mounted to the frame rail and 1/2” lines tank to pump. 

• Owner

Most people get a remote mount filter base and use a good 3 micron filter and then like a 100 micron prefilter before the Raptor. The problem with the Raptor is there is no return line back to the tank so the pressure regulator will tend to cavitate some being it recirculates the fuel back to the inlet side of the pump. So basically you need to find what spin-on filter you wish to use and get the proper base for those filters. 

The easiest way would be to have a full AirDog 150 or 165 then the filter problem is resolved. The full AirDog with the return line will route the air and foam away from the fuel system and then allow for polishing of the fuel since a majority is returned to the tank being it's cycled multiple passes then it will pick up more debris on every pass. I'm also running the factory fuel filter too. I've got a 7 micron NAPA filter in the stock can and 3 micron on the AirDog. 

The best part is I change fuel filters every 60k to 70k miles. The fuel is not being drawn from the sender basket and from the main pool of fuel which is a much cooler fuel temperature and doesn't create asphaltenes which typically occur around 140 to 150*F fuel temperatures. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I have a spare filter base for a 04.5-12 Severe Duty Filter Kit from Geno’s. It has a fuel heater and WIF sensor built it with connector for each. Is there any reason I couldn’t use this on my 2000? In my mind I could just replace the factory heater and wif plugs with whatever matches the Geno’s kit and run the extended wiring. Of course I’d be mounting it to the frame rail. IMG_5789.png.e7321de97f7ef30314918a6f48dee1d1.png