• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1999 24v cummins changes engine tone while keeping steady speed on highway

• Owner

My best to explain levels...

Level 0 - Quadzilla disabled. Stock ECM in full control. No fuel table or timing table is used of the Quadzilla. Only live data from the CANBus.

Level 1 - Valet Mode. This allows us to lock the fuel limit to a single value say I use 10% which the truck will drive but a max speed of 20 MPH. This allows the truck to move for a shop tech but not be driven very fast at all. The fuel table is disabled and only this signal number fuel amount is used.

Level 2 - Stock Fuel. This level will allow for all your timing values and then fuel is capped at 100% fuel. No additional fuel will be given above stock 100% regardless of the fuel table setup.

Level 3 - Full CANBus fuel. Now your entire CANBus fuel table will be used all the way to 150% fueling. Full timing table is used.

Levels 4 to 11 - These are all the wiretap levels. Like me, I only use 7 levels total which makes the 4 levels for wiretap split out to 25% per level. Now my tune the 1200us of pulse so if like today I've got level 5 set and that means I only get 600us pulse of wiretap. More levels the more it splits out the wiretap. 

Good luck man, that **** sucks cancer always goes after the good ones, my mum has multiple myeloma (blood cancer) i wouldnt wish it on anyone. And i figured out that 0-3 infact has no change from my tune changes, i was over here thinking that it did at first🤦 then tried out the other levels and went wtf im an idiot trying all these changes and thinking it was doing something when it didnt

@daav544, here is a tire size comparison for the tire you currently have and the future tires you will install later.

TireSizeComparison(3).thumb.GIF.886eed839180e9db501410247d584b92.GIF

Below is a sample of how these different tires sizes will have a minor effect on road speed and engine torque put to the ground.

The first chart reflects your bald 215/85 R16 tires (30.4" diameter)

The second chart reflects the tire you are going to purchase - 235/85 R16 (31.7" diameter)

The numbers high-lighted in yellow represent the direct gear (1:1 ratio) for each transmission.

I can change the numbers in blue to reflect different engine rpms, different axle ratios, and different tire sizes.

- John

RoadSpeedCalculator(1).GIF.390907211532d81fa5c9a7d0c425db0b.GIF

RoadSpeedCalculator(2).GIF.51df9a8d69a2b9d5cf0ea01abbd444ed.GIF

• 2 weeks later...

Check out tacomaworld com they also have a great tire size comparison calculator. It shows you the speed differences at any speed and the percent difference in size the tires are from each other. Thats how i ended up putting 245 75 16 on my front rims they were only like .8 of an in larger than the 215s i had on the rear(trucks 2wd) but again im not fully understanding the reasoning behind why the final ratio needs to be between 3.55 and 3.73 to get a tune made?

• Owner

EGTs. Lower than 3.55 ratio no matter what I do the EGTs will be high. Then everything else will run hot. You won't be able to run high timing because you'll need constant retard for boost. Remember Trans Temp is my Engine Oil temp. You'll see every stays fairly cool even running 200°F thermostat. Another to note 30 degrees of timing is the max of the VP44.

3.69:1 ratio at 80 MPH (I84 heading to Boise)

Screenshot_20240429_110851_iQuad.jpg

3.69:1 ratio at 65 MPH (US 95 heading between Weiser and Payette ID)

Screenshot_20240429_094828_iQuad.jpg

3.69:1 ratio at 55 MPH (Between New Meadows and Council ID)

Screenshot_20240429_083551_iQuad.jpg

Now look at the ECO. Nice high numbers.

I know I don't display boost pressure being I know my MAP sensor has some error. 

Stock HX35W turbo (54/60/12) with 7x0.010 injectors (+150 HP popped at 320 bar)

55 MPH = 0 PSI Boost

65 MPH = 2 PSI Boost

80 MPH = 7 PSI Boost

Again poor finally ratio will require much more retard than me which would build boost and help control EGTs but you'll lose some of the power stroke to build boost wasting expanding gases to spin a turbo.

Now the only pic that is not in cruise mode is 80 MPH but I've reduced the amount of retard based on load which allowed me to keep the gains.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Mike, You and I spoke on the phone a month or so ago about trying to get my eco tune dialed in. Regardless of where I'm at with timing/engine load/boost, my oil temp is always 7 - 10 degrees hotter than coolant temp. I know you said advanced timing causes this but I'm running around 19-20 degrees timing, sub 5 psi boost, engine loads in the 20-25% range at 65 - 70 mph, 1800 - 2000 rpm. Is it just impossible to swap those temps numbers in a rig with an automatic transmission/parasitic drag?