• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

runnin' the valves

Comes down to the simple fact that all metal expands... So at full operating temp how much expansion of metal do you have? Now that things tighten up and running higher RPM's how much valve float or interference would you have? There is a reason for why Cummins has these valve set this way... (Yes. I know the shrug smiley is AWOL!) :banghead:

This. Its one thing to cheat the specs on a slant 6... on a Cummins, might oughta take a hint from the engineers unless ya got free cash to spend on a couple of hp. Just my :2cents:

i feel like i'm not being heard. even at 0.15 is in cummins approved specs. this is not a made up #. my quotes are straight from the 2001 Factory Service Manual.another thing to think about. every time i have ran my valves, they are the same gap or loose. i have never had the gap shrink(i don't run the valves on a hot motor). it always "loosens" up. the engineers and scientist make the specs. the fact that SASQCH had CUMMINS do his first lash and they set it at .008in and .017ex says to me, either they know it will loosen with time or that there is some benefit to running them a little tight. :2cents:now i probably won't run .006in and .015ex but i find it strange the FSM says, "Engine operation within these ranges has no adverse affect on performance, emissions, fuel economy or level of engine noise." when everyone immediately reports that their trucks are quieter.

well its has been a week. the power is smoother and comes on lower in the RPM range. i don't have a boost gauge, but i felt like the turbo wasn't spooled until 1800-1900RPM. it feel like it "lights" at 1600 RPMs now. still not enough time to tell about MPG but i DO NOT think it is any quieter...my coworkers joke that i cannot sneak in our out of the yard without anyone/everyone knowing. :lol: