• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Intermittant no start problem...need help!!!

I bought a used 1998 24V QCSB (185k) about 6 months ago. Occasionally, it will fail to start for exactly one hour. Then it will start right up. I suspect an aftermarket alarm. I have no fob that might have come with the alarm, but there is a switch hidden under the dash which enables/disables it. Same problem not matter which position the switch is in. Most of the time it starts just fine. But has failed to start twice in the last week. So, the frequency may be increasing. Any ideas at all? I know the alarm has lots of wires but haven't any idea where to start to troubleshoot. And it may not be the alarm at all. If it is the alarm shutting down the ignition and it has a timer, can I set the time to a shorter duration?Lastly, I really don't need the alarm at all and am willing to uninstall it. Anybody know where the tentacles of the alarm wires reach? ECU? Fuel pump? If I take it out, I want it all gone.Any help is appreciated.Thx,bb

I bought a used 1998 24V QCSB (185k) about 6 months ago. Occasionally, it will fail to start for exactly one hour. Then it will start right up. I suspect an aftermarket alarm. I have no fob that might have come with the alarm, but there is a switch hidden under the dash which enables/disables it. Same problem not matter which position the switch is in. Most of the time it starts just fine. But has failed to start twice in the last week. So, the frequency may be increasing. Any ideas at all? I know the alarm has lots of wires but haven't any idea where to start to troubleshoot. And it may not be the alarm at all. If it is the alarm shutting down the ignition and it has a timer, can I set the time to a shorter duration? Lastly, I really don't need the alarm at all and am willing to uninstall it. Anybody know where the tentacles of the alarm wires reach? ECU? Fuel pump? If I take it out, I want it all gone. Any help is appreciated. Thx, bb

from what I know of aftermarket alarm systems is they tie in to the CTC module which is hiding under the dash near the center if I remember right.

I was able to remove an aftermarket alarm years ago by finding wiring info on line. Aftermarket add ons are a good place to start. Also, check for codes. If the alarm isn't the culprit and if "exactly 1 hour" is coincidence, it may be the crank position sensor. My CKP was bad with no codes and intermittent crank with no start. CKP failed twice. st 2 parts were Cummins, current install is lifetime aftermarket from McParts.

from what I know of aftermarket alarm systems is they tie in to the CTC module which is hiding under the dash near the center if I remember right.

What is the CTC?

bb

--- Update to the previous post...

If the alarm isn't the culprit and if "exactly 1 hour" is coincidence...

It may be, but that's the very reason I am thinking it's the alarm. One hour to the minute and it will start. Just seems too coincidental.

bb

Check your engine fuse in the dash, Mine did this and there was a crack in the fuse.

Engine fuse is fine. There is an ignition fuse under there, however. Hard to reach as the access panel is off. I'll check that one, too. Today, it failed to start and re-started in 45 minutes. So, my hour theory is out the window. But that begs a question: what gets hot on start-up that would allow the vehicle to crank but not deliver any fuel. (I am thinking that fuel delivery is interrupted.) bb

Hey bill, Injector pump maybe? Are there any codes? I remember you telling me about this problem a while back, just can't remember some specifics. jon

Hi Jon: Sheesh...I hope not. If I understand correctly, I need a scan tool to pull the codes in my '98, right? I'll search for some recommendation on what to buy. bb

The 98 and 99 trucks do need a scan tool. Depending on how much you want to spend you have a few options. The most expensive ones allow for data logging capabilities, the mid-range will give you the real time data, and the least expensive ones will just read and clear codes. You also have the choice to purchase an OBDII cable and use either open source software, free, or paid software to turn your laptop into a scan tool. Using a laptop seems to be the most feature packed given you use free software. For about $50-$80 you can get a pretty feature packed scan tool. :smart:There is also the Inline 5 and Pro Link tools that you can use with Cummins Insite but this will cost some money. :spend:

I have figured out how to make the truck start even when it doesn't want to...which is increasingly more frequently. I just have to crank it for short bursts two or three times and it catches. Still no idea what is causing the problem, but I am grateful that I can get the truck started when I need to .bb