• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anti Gel of 2 cycle - "THEORY"

• Owner

Ok...Here is my theory of the anti-gel abilities of 2 cycle oil... Let me show a example here first. Let use water and saltwater as a example. So we all know that fresh water freezes at 32*F correct. Then salt water has a much lower freezing point. (Depending on how much salt is in the water) So now if you add 1 oz of saltwater to the fresh water you going to change the freezing point of the fresh water correct??? Of course....But now if we switch water with diesel fuel and salt water with snowmobile 2 cycle oil. Diesel fuel has a pour point of around -20*F here in Idaho typically. (From the specs I'm finding on the suppling sites). Then 2 cycle oil has a pour point of about -40*F typically. So if you adding 1 oz of 2 cycle oil to 1 gallon of diesel fuel you should have the same reaction right???Well more to come.. Soon as I get my hand on some dry ice I'm going to do this testing and post up the information for everyone...

I don't think that dry ice will lower the pour point of diesel fuel. :D J/K.......sorry, had to say it.Would be interesting to see what you come up with, especially after that long discussion a couple of you guys had on CF about it.It makes more sense now that you say that 2-cycle has a pour point of -40*f. I had no idea it had that low of a pour point.

• Owner

Some high performance sled oils are down to -50*F or even lower... So it got to have a effect on the pour point of diesel fuel... Now the synthetic line of oil some are even as low or lower. But the problem with synthetics is they don't contain a PPD (pour point depressant). Being there made in a lab and there is no wax or parafin in the oil they have ZERO needs fo PPD so synthetic 2 cycle oil had ZERO effect on the pour point on diesel fuel...As for the other guys... All I ask of them is to bring proof to the table of what there saying over there but they ALWAYS come empty handed! :mad

• 3 weeks later...

Even the wallyworld supertech 2cycle tcw3 has some anti gel additive in it, probably not as good as sled oils, but some none the less. I know my truck and tractor run better with 2cycle and so far I have not had any issues with gelling while using 2cycle. I would think the 2cycle would add some viscosity, but not in a negative way. Harry