• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weird startup, white smoke chugs.

Just recently in FL it's started to get cold. 30s at night... Haha real cold right :lol:Anyway, my truck has always started right up after sitting at night fine no problems.It has a brand new (as of a few months ago) Carter fuel pump fuel filter was changed at the same time.Lately however, after sitting all night long it will start up a little rough, no extra cranking, but will have to warm up slightly before taking off. If I don't wait for warm up it will run rough for about 2 minutes while chuggin, sputtering or whatever it is. If I leave it parked out of gear and give it throttle it will also sputter and spill white smoke.I might have a few ideas as to what it is, but I'd like to get some input from everyone.Yesterday I let the fuel filter drain a little while running the truck but it didn't help it today when I started it.I think it could be water or air I'm gonna change the fuel and oil filters soon. Along with the hose that was SUPPOSED to be marine diesel grade hose that seems to have some exterior cracks in it already.Let me know if I should check anything else. P.S. I think I may have the beginnings of a bad injector.Money is tight right now but I will be finishing up a job soon and should have a little extra cash to fix stuff. Let me know what you all think.Thanks Zach

Seems like air to me seeing as how it starts and just sits there sputtering. On the coldest of days mine might cough once while starting but then it idles perfectly smooth and no trouble. If you let the fuel filter drain then it let air in. You could try taking the injectors apart and cleaning them if you suspect one has stuff in it. You can also crack each injector line and make sure each one misses as you do it. Make sure the fuel filter gasket is on there good and make sure the old one came off, otherwise you will just be smashing 2 together and it will leak at the seam of them.

Leave the injectors alone. Your problem is the timing gear on the pump slipped. The timing is retarded real bad. This is a VERY COMMON problem. Here are the instructions for HOW to set the timing: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/18-10-94a.htm And here are the plunger lift charts: http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/timing.htm

That is very plausible too! I took an injector apart and it was screwed up when I put it together and it ran fine but missed if I gave it any throttle, didn't think of it not smoking at all though.

• 2 weeks later...

Leave the injectors alone. Your problem is the timing gear on the pump slipped. The timing is retarded real bad. This is a VERY COMMON problem. Here are the instructions for HOW to set the timing: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/18-10-94a.htm And here are the plunger lift charts: http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/timing.htm

i wander if that is what happened to mine becouse it misses a little at cold startup and the milage sucks powers not that great either

Every once in a while my truck would do the same thing. I would would just drive it and it would smooth out and run fine. I suspect in my case anyway might be the fuel. Every now and then I put injector treatment into the tank. I has been a while since I've had that issue again. Other than that nothing else was touched or adjusted.