• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

non-wastegated turbos

I think the 94-97 powerstrokes were nonwastegated. Basically, the turbo is too big to overspool with factory fueling, so they don't need a wastegate. Of course they don't spool worth a damn either. For example, I put a series 60 detroit turbo on mine (Garrett GTA42) and if I floored it, it would light after the EGT got to about 1300, then it would get to a whopping 15psi.. Therefore, I would need no wastegate for it.

the only other non-wastegated I can think of are the VNT or VGT's and they adjust the vanes to control boost using a computer, although some people have adapted various pneumatic mechanisms such as a waste gate actuator to do this without the computer.

• Staff

Fuel... You size a non-gated turbo to acheive optimal boost in the upper rpm band. They are slower to spool, but run better on the top end than a smaller gated turbo. The wastegate is simply allowing for a turbo that is a size or two too small for the application to be ran to get quick spool and a great bottom end. There are plenty of OEM non gated applications, just not many in vehicles, more industrial applications. My dad's 3406 rated at 600hp didn't have a gate, but it was a marine app.

yeahwas looking at an ats3k ..... 59/65/13 ....... but its nonwastgated Nice turbo though.But as I want to wastegate at 40psi (no ARP) ...... then decided against this now - but hell of a buy $800So looking at new 62/65/12 ....... have a call into jacob/jamie to work out ..... IF anyone has a lead on a good 62 charger ...... new or used ...... let me know:thumb1:

A lot of guys clamp HX-35 gates shut making for about the same thing. The biggest thing it to not have enough fuel that it will overspool. Personally I wouldn't run something ungated even though mine was like that for I don't know how long due to the previous owner. Never had any problems with the pump untapped with the 150s, or with the Comp tapped before the 150s.:thumb1: