• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 cummins transfer pump voltage

Does anybody know the voltage when starting .When I turn the switch to on I m picking up 12 volts for 2 seconds & then it drops to 8 volts? Then when I turn the switch to start & let go I get 12 volts for 25 seconds then voltage drops to 8 volts? Why does it drop to 8 you would think it should drop to 0 volts.These test are done at the transfer pump connector.

what happen is I wanted to check the pressure between transfer pump & vp44 ,my gauge was reading 0 psi so I unplug connecter on transfer pump & check voltage with my meter and the results were with key on 12 volts for 2 seconds then voltage went down to 8 volts ?then I turned the switch to start & let go I was getting 12 volts for 25 seconds & then the voltage dropped to 8 volts until I turn switch to off ,voltage dropped to 0 ,why is it staying at 8 volts you would think it should drop to 0 volts.Afterwards I pull the pump out and it s seized so ordered a FASS pump as replacement,Ijust want to make sure of the good voltage before I do the switcharoo.:(

Up in the" BOONIES" northern Ontario,just bought the cummins with a defective transfer case,I did those repairs & now I want to make sure I have enough fuel press. before I start on the modifications.0 psi is not enough ,I ll replace the transfer pump,I m worried about the 8 volts I have when I flick the switch,this can be hard on a 12 volt pump

• Owner

Either its 0 Volts turned off or 12 Volts turned on... Full controlled by the ECM...

Posted Image

OFF should 0 Volts

Cranking should be modulated 12 Volts (Square wave)

Running should 12 Volts solid.

No there is no relay or other controllers. Either the ECM has a bad ground, poor power supply, or ECM is starting to fail.