• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Synthetic 2 cycle oil usage.

I don't see a problem with the figures nor do I see a problem with the mix. The guess that the syn 2cycle would work as well at less oil for a very close $ cost is what I was considering.I was loaded so the oil carton was not right to hand. So on the shelf was syn in pints and 8 oz for 15 gallon is just close but the sound level dropped slightly at apx 1/2 the dino mix and has stayed down for two 1/2 tanks with the dino. So I still think that if somebody wants to 'work up' that the place to start with syn 2cycle is 1/4th oz per gallon.I am now quite sure that I do not at this time understand all that I know about this. it is about time to put the paper scraps onto a spreadsheet.One thing - the stuck open thermostat was worth about 1.7 mpg, when I replaced it the mpg is right back in the mid 19's per tank with up to 1 1/2 ton on mixed with empty. And the OD works about 10% of the time so it is going to get wired with a pressure control soon.keydl

I have been using premix for about 6 months at least and have seen some good results/ MPG is up by a solid 1 MPG on both of my trucks on average. I started using Pennziol Marine and Castrol as well because WalMart is 50+ miles away. When I got down to WM, I bought their SUper Tech and ran it. Then I realized something. That oil is the exact same as the Pennzoil and Castrol oil. At first I noticed it was the same color and smell so I looked up the MSDS on them and found out that they are indeed made by the same company. but at a savings of over $3/gallon, I buy a few gallons at a time when I go to WM. My trucks run quieter and smoother while producing far less smoke from the tail pipe. I am thinking that the oil provides a more complete combustion of diesel fuel. I run it in every tank and have turned a lot of diesel owners to run the oil. I am sold on it to say the least.On a side note, I use empty water bottels of 16 or 20 ounces to keep the oil in my trucks. That gives me easy to use containers that store well in the trucks and also give accurate measurements.

I wound up with a pint of synthetic and used 1/2 oz per gallon. High 19's at the next fill and broke 20 after the second 8 oz. That is in the 5% improvement range at 1/2 the oil as a rough figure. keydl

What brand are you unsing and what does it cost/gallon?

The last before the thermostate was 17.73 for the tanknext was 19.03 that included selling 6030 # of iron When I filled to head in the posted was $3,38 (save 2 cent a gallon) and It was Evinrude brand marine and the tank was 19.89 mpgThe other half of the pint gave a reading of 20.35 which is about 1 mpg up from the long averageIt is getting close to time to fill agin, this tank has the cheap dino at 1 oz per gallon.The oil appeared to be miss marked at $2.95 for a pint the same as there dino oil and cheaper than by the quart, go figure. I found a couple of gallons of dino at the thrift store for $.50 a pint so they followed me home. Before I run out of what I have I will get the rec'ts on a spreadsheet so I have the long average running beside the tank average.keydl

• Owner

More weight and drag you got the higher the pyro temp and more boost you'll get.

Looking at your signature... (Assuming) you got oversized wheels and tires, low gearing (4.30:1 Ratio), and since your truck sits higher from the larger wheels you got to cut more wind. (Wind drag).

Now comparing to me...

I've got stock rims and tires (16" rims and 265/75 R16 Cooper SST), my final gears are 3.55:1 ratio, stock height, and my total weight is ~6,800 pounds...

My requirement to roll is 1 horsepower for every 1 MPH. So if I'm on flat ground at 65 MPG I'm going to need about 60-70 HP to keep the truck rolling.

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/better-mpgs/better-mpgs.htm

This is some really good information !!! :cheers Why have you not shown this before?? Did you just find it or have you just been hiding it from ALL of us.... :nono :poke ;) Some of this information would fit into the website really well... ;) I actually found the information about tires the most interesting ... :thumbsup Maiden

• Owner

This is some really good information !!! :cheers Why have you not shown this before?? Did you just find it or have you just been hiding it from ALL of us.... :nono :poke ;) Some of this information would fit into the website really well... ;) I actually found the information about tires the most interesting ... :thumbsup Maiden

[center:2njh87gq]LOL WEB DESIGNER /EDITORS WANTED! LOL[/center:2njh87gq] I can only do so much at one time. I've got a huge collection of information here on my hard drive and finding way to put it in the web site is the tough part...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused,many people say,don't use synthetic 2 cycle oil.some say it's ok,some say use regular 2 cycle oil,some say don't. Some say it's ok for a single rail,some say don't.I have a 2005 with 22K on the engine,I know it's personal preference,but should I use 2 cycle oil or not and if so,what brand ,etc,there's just too many ideas on this subject and I'm very confused on all the different ideas about it,and also will using 2 cycle oil in my fuel void my warranty?? Thank's, confused... bfrees7095

There seems to be more than a little variation in the reported results, some is operator error, what they write is mechanically improbable. They do not have a record in fact that will support what they write. My opinion is that without at least 1k miles with a single variable that the results are not supported with records because of the way that the measurements are taken. Anybody pumped 120F fuel? I have a ray gun but I do not take fuel temps and I have pumped fuel that was hard to hold the nozzle, and it was 119F. Not because I take fuel temps but because it was to hot to handle with comfort, next month 'Landline" magazine had a hot fuel artical.I do not wonder that you find the flack confusing, I think that as many as 10% of the posts concerning 2cycle are trooles. Had one on a HD truck maint forum this week with a real display of a lack of knowledge but lots of opinion.Mike's data on this site is, by a factor of more than ten, the largest data set for the use of 2cycle. He made a logic connection that I knew but never connected, the manufacture intends the lubrication of a gas engine to be done with 2cycle oil and that oil to be burned with the gas. The new ULSD does not have the lubricity that the manufactures asked for but they were aware of the spec for the latest design cycle, whether they met the the fuel design with the engine design will take 10 years of use in the real world out side the lab. That the fuel is not correct for the earlier designs is a fact and has already been demonstrated with the last fuel spec change.The dieselplace.com did a lab test with raw fuel and additives off the shelf ( to prevent ringers from the additive manufactures - there is a lot of money involved ) and a copy of the results is here some place. It is educational but more to the point is the stuff that they were selling as additives ( trade secret ) but the federal law made them tell the fire depts and the random worker what they were working with ( most had no interest ). The info wound up on the web, connected with the product and the manufacture so now you know we were pouring paint thinner into diesel to make things 'work better'. The sales weasels sold a lot of stuff.It may get out of hand and the fuel spec include 2% biodiesel in the future, so the fuel meets the engine manufactures requested spec.In the meantime Mikes's recommend of 1 oz of tc-w3 rated 2cycle oil to 1 gallon of #2 diesel is a safe way to go, zero reported problems.Want to learn more?The manufactures of synthetic 2cycle show 100:1 on the label, I have run the 100:1 in 2cycle equipment that has a recommended mix ratio of 32: for several hundred hours ( and bought a lot fewer sparkplugs ) so the way that I see the synthetic thing is - use less. It is STILL made by the manufacture to go through the engine and the label advocates 100:1 ratio. I think that the fuel mileage increases reported come from ring lubrication by the 2cycle oil, and that synthetic is more persistent at this location than the dino stuff. Most of the engine manufactures tolerate up to 10% used engine oil in the #2 diesel, in the past I have run 20% used engine oil in a Cummins 400 and a Toroflow with no problems.Want to contribute to the knowledge base?If you engine has not been fed 2cycle and you have a hand calculated mpg figure that runs 2 or 3 tanks to help the accuracy in filling thing - I think that 1/4 oz per gallon of synthetic 2cycle will do the same as 1 oz per gallon of dino but have no data to support this WAG. So I am looking for interested people. I think that the injection pump and lift pump will make better than 1/2 million miles and fuel mileage go up 1 to 1.,5 mpg. May not do anything but if it does the avoided cost of a pump or 2 saves a bit of money and the fuel savings will pay the 2cycle oil.If not the cost is a jug of 2cycle oil at more than the $8.56 a gallon for the cheap stuff and the record keeping.The reason for starting low is that the dilution of a heavier mix may take a couple of tank fillings to get the ratio that you are wanting but a lighter mix you just need to add for the heel amount.For the engines that require ULSD the 2cycle is not yet recommended.keydl

We need to get a monograph that covers all of the stuff with links to paste on the trools. I am sure that there are a couple of items missing for an all purpose post. Some of my language is regional and some outdated, I started working as a mechanic in '60 on the hi plains so feel free to edit. I have got to get the book out to put in links. Because I see so many trools, pasteing on them is probably the best way rather than do a new thing each time. Might even have a look at where they come from :) because they are not confused or misguided.I see an agenda to kill old vehicals: in the legislature and the change in fuel specs. Removing the lead from gas was done in an unconstitutional way when it would have been easy to do it a different way and followed the constitution - tax tetraeythle lead to raise the price above the price of unleaded and use the results for lead remediation.keydl

• 3 months later...

I have just joined the 2 stroke revolution, 1 oz wally world per gal of diesel, actually I think I'm just a hair under 1 oz per gal. I'm not exactly sure if my tank is 32 or 35 gal. Added 32 oz of oil.