• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Plain steel wheel options for '01 3/4 ton - 4 "spare" wheels?

My 2001 has the fancy chrome wheels and unfortunately every one has a case of the corrosion cancer that I guess is separating the chrome or clearcoat from the wheel metal. It looks horrible and is flaking off pretty badly. I can deal with this issue on the body paint, but not the wheels too! :lol:I have never liked these wheels anyway - have always preferred a more utilitarian look like the old white steelies on older trucks. My question is this - does anyone run 4 steel "spare" wheels on a 2nd gen? Is there anything different about them in terms of load or anything? My factory steel spare came with a Michelin LTX MS 265/75/16E mounted on it so I would guess the answer is no.Any ideas on where I would get 3 more spares? Are there any other good stock-size options out there for relatively cheap?

I gotta agree. I only have the OEM wheels. The center caps must have worn through the plating & is all corrosion creeping out. I've never liked the teardrop holes in the OEM wheels... I wonder if junkyards might find you wheels... spares that have never been on the ground. Mine is still under the truck.Russ

• Owner

I gotta agree. I only have the OEM wheels. The center caps must have worn through the plating & is all corrosion creeping out. I've never liked the teardrop holes in the OEM wheels... I wonder if junkyards might find you wheels... spares that have never been on the ground. Mine is still under the truck. Russ

I've got the same problem with my stock aluminum rims the clear coat is shot and the white corrosion is starting... When these get ugly I'll switch to a plain jane steel rim of some sort (chrome, white or black finish)

Score! I've been dinking around on craigslist and I found a set of 5 2nd gen "ST" steelies with lugs, centercaps, and some worn out 245/75/16s on them. Super cheap too!

Hopefully I can pick them up tomorrow and have my current (very new) Michelins swapped over. If these work out I'll probably try to sell the chrome wheels on craigslist too to break even.

There should be no issue mounting my 265s I imagine since they look exactly like my spare tire with the factory 265 spare.

:thumb1:

Posted Image

Well, heres what I ended up with.

Posted Image

--- Update to the previous post...

I have a question for anybody in the know.

These wheels allegedly came off a 3/4 ton Dodge van. Would the somehow be different from the truck steel wheels? Is there any worry about the weight capacity or anything?