• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ecm problems??

[list=]

Hello, just got done sealing up the side tapet cover and put in a new cam sensor on my 2001 dodge ram 5.9 had a hell of a time getting it running after installing the vp.but i got it running and ran great until i put my last tool back in the box..it spit spudded and was like it was lacking fuel with engine running i pushed on the sharder valve just driped a little fuel, pulled water drain same thing...replaced lift pump with new one started right up missing for a bit then it was fine...now the old pump was running with the key out of the ign...???also heater grid sol. were clicking on there own..truck runs great has more power then it ever did...well now i have the p1689 code and it will not go away..cleared codes and when i was checking all my wireing with key on out side temp in the 70s the heater grids were on full blast and smoking..pulled main sol. wire off battery to get them to go off..anyone have any idea what is going on with this thing only had it a few months and love it..and even with the engine lite on it has way more power then it ever had.Sorry for this novel but iam at witts end...Thanks to all..

• Owner

Wow what a mess...

Now as for the grid heaters I'm starting to see several failures of the relay that control the grid heaters. They will stick and stay on. I would check and see if the relay is actually stuck or is the ECM sending power to the relay needlessly.

Posted Image

As for the P1689 that could be from the lack of voltage during the time the grid heater were sticking or because the fuel pump relay is got weak contaacts. trade the fuel pump realy in the PDC with something else or just replace it.

Is the fuel pump still running with the key out?

I've heard of a simular thing it happen to be the ABS brake pump on the drivers fender that was running... But double check to see... :confused:

Ok now i have more codes and a derated vp...p1689-p1690-p0380-p0382 engine runs up to 3500 rpm but has no get up and go..grid codes set now..stil runs smooth its unreal..still just wonder if it is a wireing problem...i checked vp harness as far as i could had some wires that looked to be probed i taped them up.i will look at the ecm wires later see if they are ok...

swapped realys around the fuel pump block made no differance....however seems to have power to the vp44 all the time,even with the key off and out of the ign.when plugging in the fp relay the vp44 clicks with the relay clicking also?is the vp44 to have power all the time if so the relay was real hot had to unplug it???maybe the vps shorted? had 12volts and 5volts at plug end of vp harness..Thanks....oh also ran a ground wire from the ecm bolt to the engine block just in case it lost its ground.. :mad

• Owner

Ok now i have more codes and a derated vp...p1689-p1690-p0380-p0382 engine runs up to 3500 rpm but has no get up and go..grid codes set now..stil runs smooth its unreal..still just wonder if it is a wireing problem...i checked vp harness as far as i could had some wires that looked to be probed i taped them up.

i will look at the ecm wires later see if they are ok...

swapped realys around the fuel pump block made no differance....however seems to have power to the vp44 all the time,even with the key off and out of the ign.when plugging in the fp relay the vp44 clicks with the relay clicking also?is the vp44 to have power all the time if so the relay was real hot had to unplug it???maybe the vps shorted? had 12volts and 5volts at plug end of vp harness..Thanks....oh also ran a ground wire from the ecm bolt to the engine block just in case it lost its ground.. :mad

Relay shouldn't be hot at all... The power should be off when the key is off.

VP44 shouldn't be energized after the key is off... The ECM controls the Fuel Pump realy directly.

A gamble is to check the ASD (Automatic Shut Down) relay to see if its sticking too...

I hate to say the has failed but there is a issue there and the ECM is not shutting down with the key for some reason... 8|

Ok,when i had the air horn off to reach the ecm i put a new gaskets on it since the old paper ones burned up when the grid heaters stuck full blast and ran the truck still got power to the vp clicking etc with key off engine started and stalled right away....opened fuel lines at injectors pumped fuel out tryed to start closed one at a time till it started ran smooth and had the power back???engine lamp still on...took it to get lumber loaded it headed home,it stumbled but was fine till i got home stalled in the driveway,started back up stalled in garage let idle stalled 2-3 more times in ten min. bled lines little air in 2-3lines now engine lamp is out runs good but stalled after 20min.would the water drain leaking suck air into the system??and also moved both realys around to where i had different ons for the fuel pump and asd.when i get paid next week what gauage for fuel should i get the one that snaps on the shrader valve for now and do a cab mount after i get this thing running right?Thanks alot you have been a great help i only have been a diesel nut for 4-5 months but still lovin it..... :)

YEA, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP LEARNED A LOT THIS WEEK!!!!BETWEEN THE RELAYS AND SKINED WIRES AND THE WATER DRAIN LEAKING WHO KNOWS,,AS LONG AS IT RUNS.....RIGHT....