• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

thermocouple install?

today, i was going to install my thermocouple at the exhaust manifold, and drilled a hole and found out that theres a wall inside the manifold right under the center where it connects to the turbo. i tapped it but im not sure if i will get an accurate reading. Has any body had this problem? looks like the place i picked to drill the hole has a wall inside the manifold and the hole passed just next to the wall.:doh:

The manifold is split into 2 halves, which are a bank of the 1st three cylinders and the last three. You have to take the width of the manifold where you want to drill (right where the manifold necks down into the turbo) and divide it by 4. Go in that amount from the edge. So if it was 4 inches wide, you would go in an inch from the side. Dead center would obviously hit the divider, as you found out.

post-45-138698176578_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The manifold is split into 2 halves, which are a bank of the 1st three cylinders and the last three. You have to take the width of the manifold where you want to drill (right where the manifold necks down into the turbo) and divide it by 4. Go in that amount from the edge. So if it was 4 inches wide, you would go in an inch from the side. Dead center would obviously hit the divider, as you found out.

thanks, i will close the hole with a threded cap, and redrill where you mentioned, i drilled in the center of the neck and the probe will be touching the divider wall inside.

--- Update to the previous post...

I would figure as long as you tapped into the manifold without drilling directly through the wall you should be ok. Just as long as the probe isnt touching the wall.

it is touching the wall