• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injector Virgin

Robvg

2005 Ram 2500

Begining to hard start. Overnight seems to be the worst. Died once. No codes. Fuel filter recently changed.

Boss thinks its the injectors because the same thing happened to a friend of his. Wants me to change them.

Never done it before. [He thinks it should be like changing sparkplugs]

How big a job is it? Do you need special tools?

Looking for a manual. Is the "2005-DodgeFSM.Zip " a service manual? Not sure if I can open the file, haven't tried yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

I don't think that is a very hard job, from what I've gathered. I'll let you know more after I change mine on saturday. If you do find that it is your injectors I would get on the horn and find some fast, it seems like they are very hard to come by, I could not find any stock Bosch 505's. The quickest any parts supplier could get them was 2 months from now. I would also leave the truck parked in the driveway until you figure out the problem, if you drive you risk distroying the motor.:2cents: Hope this helps

• Owner

Being that all diesel engine rely on having pressurized fuel to fire the injectors to make them start.

No codes.

So typically I ask for fuel pressure and error codes to see if there is something else wrong. If there is no error codes then all the electrical and electronics are considered good and operational. So that means its all fuel pressure from there on out...

I downloaded WinZip and Part 1 and 2 of the FSM. Clicked on file to open, entered password "pdftown.com"The progress bar went all the way to right and then I got message that said there was a problem. Looked at the error and the last part said there could be a problem with the password ??? -Fuel filter will be changed first.-No fuel in oil. No smoke.-Will look at heaters when I get the FSM As far as fuel pressure goes, I'll have to get that tested- don't have a gauge. Imagine they're expensive?

AH64, I tried the version you linked to but still couldn't open it.I did open the 2006 FSM with no problems. Are the '06 and '05 close enough to see how to replace the injectors and do things like test the heaters and fuel pressure?

• Owner

AH64, I tried the version you linked to but still couldn't open it. I did open the 2006 FSM with no problems. Are the '06 and '05 close enough to see how to replace the injectors and do things like test the heaters and fuel pressure?

Here try this one... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=182

That's the one I tried the first time and it still won't open for me. I get this message:Extracting 2005-DR-SM.pdf Error: CRC mismatch in file "2005-DR-SM.pdf" in the archive "C:\Documents and Settings\Rob\My Documents\Downloads\PDFTown.com-2005-DR.part1.rar" - possible wrong passwordI'm using WinZipUsed "pdftown.com" password

In the manual they show two "special tools", one for pulling the tube that feeds the injector and one for pulling the injector. Is there a way to pull them without the tools?

UPDATE/EDIT:

I was able to open the file that AH64 uploaded. I'm on a different computer and using Interenet Explorer. Maybe it was a problem with Google Chrome which I was using last night. I'll try IE on your file when I get home.

--- Update to the previous post...

On the intake heaters, do you check resitance or will they be warm to the touch- key on

Batteries were low from trying to start it. I had a hunch they were bad before that. I put in a new set and the truck starts fine now even after sitting for a few days. I guess there could still be a problem but won't find out until he starts driving it again tomorrow.Just to be clear, in the beginning the truck cranked ok but wouldn't start.

Well problem wasn't solved.

I've been posting on other forum because I need some guidance soon.

"

2005 125,000mi

P0148- Fuel pressure

It cranked but wouldn’t start. Changed the fuel filter but still wouldn’t start. Put in a new set of batteries and it started for 2 days but the driver thought there might be a miss. Ran like crap a couple of times and he noticed black smoke when it did.

Oil level about 3/8” above full. Would this point to a bad fuel injector? I read you can use an infrared checker on the exhaust ports to look for a cold cylinder- is that correct?

Also I cleared the code and heard a rapid clicking noise when I turned the key on- towards the back of the engine around head level. It lasts for about a minute. I heard this before when we first had this problem but don’t ever remember it hearing it previously.

Don’t want to do the injectors if this sounds like it might be something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated."