• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Analysis

Am having as much success as Joe at "cutting and pasting" the info so will just transpose it here.The lab is showing that his oil is reading high in lead and silicone. Readings are:LEAD 153SILICON 50I emailed him that the lead can be coming from a bearing source and the silicone is not sealant, but probably coming from an air filter that is not doing its job. Anytime you have silica in the oil, its usually a leaky intake system or bad air filter. We have no idea on how old the engine is, how long since the last oil change or any other info, but this is a start.This is from the oil lab: ~~~~~We suggest that an Analytical Ferrogram be performed to clarify the type of wear and/or contamination that is present; Lead is at a SIGNIFICANT LEVEL; LEAD source in GEAR SYSTEMS may be from BUSHING/THRUST overlay, LEAD SOLDER, Coating surface, or contamination from GREASE; Abrasives (silicon/dirt) are at a MODERATE LEVEL; Please provide missing lube information. We need manufacturer, type and grade to properly evaluate data for lube; Lubricant change acknowledged; Resample at half interval; ~~~~~Comments or suggestions?

Joe,This is for the engine, correct? Cannot see how silica (sand) would get into a gearbox, and its not unusual to see in an engine oil sample.You will usually see a lot more metals in a gearbox sample, like all the syncro's and such that wear everytime you shift. Not in higher concentrations but still there.Joe

I am sorry about that I thought I said trans. As far as silica the guy at the sample lab said that the silica could be from silicon RTV sealer. This is on a 5 speed. I pull inspection plates to change oil and I may be over doing it on the silicon. The reason I pull plates is to mop out the little bit that is traped in the back of trans.

• 1 month later...

Hey Joe thought you would fine this interesting. NV4500 trans. has no lead or lead base products so where is it coming from.I tracked down a man in Wyoming who knows his stuff about truck trans and such and tells me there is nothing in there that has lead in it. Now lets take a look at Oil Analyzers and see what happen, it could be the paper work I filled out. It was real hard to fill out. No common sence questions about truck, its weird.

Oh yes the day I took sample I changed it then. I am going to order manual trans.filter also. On passanger side of trans.is a filter. On driverside is a magnet with bolt patern same as inspection plate. :thumbsup I think cost is around 45.00 I will let you know if you are interested.