• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My First 3rd Gen. Trany Question

So how are the auto's in these trucks. I would like to run a auto just because I am getting lazy in my old age but dont wont trouble either.I will be pulling 4030 John Deere with buck and wheele weights total 14k and hauling hay (if it ever rains again).

• Owner

Give you a clue... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/tags.php?tag=automatic+transmission This is the tag cloud for everything automatic transmission. :rolleyes: I know that most of it listed in the 24V forums but the 47RE continued on in life of the 3rd Gens... CajFlynn is the best man for hauling with a automatic and manages to get 300K miles out of them... :thumb1:

What year are you looking at? Early 03 had 47 re and mid year 03.5 went to 48re. the 05 has a different pcm program that will not allow a reprogram to turn OD off and tow haul mode also. You get either or, they came from factory with tow haul but can get a pcm flash to make the button turn OD off instead. There are aftermarket tranny control boxes that allow it to do both so there are options if you get an 05. 06 and newer have both setings from factory just hit the button once or twice for od off and for towhaul mode.

• Owner

Sad part is I'm still digging through the forum and addind tags to old post and it funny to see how many threads about automatic transmission pop up while doing the tag cloud... :rolleyes: I not say it impossible to get a good tranny but like most will tell you... You need to invest more money into the transmission to get a good life span from them. (Torque Convertor and Valve Body)

The 48 re is a good tranny, has heavier lockup clutch than 47 re had problems with. But yeah you can still improve by adding an aftermarket VB and converter. which would run around 1200-1500 for decent ones. Not much more than a quality clutch. Sad to say that Fords auto trannies behind their diesels are hands down the best out there.

Anything 03.5 and newer has a 48re and they are good trannies. The 05 just has a weird pcm program that can be dealt with by adding a tranny controller box from dtt suncoast ect so you can have both tow haul mode and OD off option. 03-04 could be reflashed so you could get both functions and 06+ came from factory with both options standard. Yes they can be improved with a converter and VB like any other stock auto tranny.

• Like 1