• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

To flush or not to? What you guys do.

scubieman

our local shop has a 100% exchange machine for the tranny fluid.I just pull my pan change the filter.I have in the past used my drain plug and after 100 miles drain it again and refill.But that cost almost as much as the shop does for 100% exchange.I use maxlife and it is big bucks for a case plus i have a mag pan.Every time i drop my pan i use a case :spend:

If you regularly service it and the oil isn't burnt and contaminated then a drain and filter change is good. They use ATF 4 or any compatibale synthetic auto tranny fluid. To do a flush just take the tranny cooler lines off and blow compressed air through it to flush and drain the cooler system blow into the front line and catch it from the back line as this is the flow you can't blow back through the other way as there is a check ball in the cooler line at the heat exchanger on the passenger side of the block under the turbo. You can also put a small amount of air into the front cooler fitting to back flush the converter. this is messy and you need to hold pressure on it for a while to get the oil to push back out. I do this every change and it gains you about 3 extra quarts drained per change. Edit: I just saw you have a newer rig than I thought but it should be the same. Not sure if the new rigs have a heat exchanger like the older one do. Where in SD do you call home?

I did this a couple weeks ago. Just dropped the pan and changed filter. Don't need a pan gasket, they're reusable (says so on the pan) Needed 6 qts of atf +4 (autozone brand) to refill it. I also replaced the governor pressure solenoid. Your the same scubieman from FRF right?

I did this a couple weeks ago. Just dropped the pan and changed filter. Don't need a pan gasket, they're reusable (says so on the pan) Needed 6 qts of atf +4 (autozone brand) to refill it. I also replaced the governor pressure solenoid. Your the same scubieman from FRF right?

Yes I am :) from FRF. I plan to change tranny filter/oil soon. I want some preventive maint. I heard this tranny's aren't the best.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I added a drain plug and I drop 6qts every 20k and refill. Quick and easy. can be done out on the road with a small drain pan.

That is good but I would still drop the pan and change the filter every other change at your intervals. Would you run your engine that long without changing the filter and just draining half the oil and topping it off. You have to wash the contamination from the pan and magnet and get a clean filter in it at least every 40K. Not to mention you need to adjust the rear band with the pan off at about every 40K as well for transmission longevity and proper smooth operation.