Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cirrus... stunk!! Smelled like I cooked something

I had run an errand, backed hard left out of parking space... (no gas) car seemed to not back as fast as normal. I wasn't concerned as it was close parking so slow is fine. When I went forward, car did not want to up-shift (automatic). I checked shifter was correct & ebrake off (I don't use). Smelled like badly burning clutch... I was most concerned about transmission. Had smell with me for several miles, I rolled down window to get rid of it. I don't drive hard anyway... Car seemed to drive ok, but I was concerned. Drove it home at reduced speed. When I got home, I put max pressure on brake pedal... I think pedal is low though seems to take hold. I didn'y try to drive after. I'm thinking I may have stuck a brake... (Stuck caliper or colapsed hose locking?) Full brake job (new discs & pads, drums & shoes) a little over a year ago... 10,000 miles. Going to check fluid level this morning. Russ

Sounds like a stuck brake. Did you check to see if any wheel was hot compared to the others? With old fluid it may have enough moisture in it to cause a piston to rust.

• Like 1

No, I didn't check for a hot wheel when I got home. I was thinking to lift one corner at a time & try spinning each wheel... it's raining hard right now... gonna wait this one out.

additional

The rain stopped... I took the Cirrus out. Stopped ok & straight, no pull... so I took it on an errand to the next town. When I got back, I checked the wheels. The front wheel, driver's side was hot enough that I'd not want to stick a finger on the disc. The others were hardly warm. So there's my answer. I'll have to take it in.

I have noticed that it is much easier to focus on other people's mechancal riddles, than you focus on my own.

Thank You.

Russ

• Owner

No, I didn't check for a hot wheel when I got home. I was thinking to lift one corner at a time & try spinning each wheel... it's raining hard right now... gonna wait this one out.

additional

The rain stopped... I took the Cirrus out. Stopped ok & straight, no pull... so I took it on an errand to the next town. When I got back, I checked the wheels. The front wheel, driver's side was hot enough that I'd not want to stick a finger on the disc. The others were hardly warm. So there's my answer. I'll have to take it in.

I have noticed that it is much easier to focus on other people's mechancal riddles, than you focus on my own.

Thank You.

Russ

Now all you got to do is disassemble the one caliper and clean it up. You might find that all the parts are fine but the pucks might have built up brake fluid (dried) and causing them to bind up. So don't go out on a limb buy a bunch of part right off. When you have the calipers off just pull the seals out and check the pucks to see if they will fall into the bottom of the cylinder(s) without pushing. If not clean the pucks with light sandpaper. Then check them again.

• Like 1

My buddy's mechanic (a nice one man shop attached to his house) had a cancelation, so I took the brake problem to him. He turned in around in a few hours. Charges on this job were $51 for the caliper, a couple of bucks in fluid and 82.50 in labor. How do you think I did?

• Owner

$51 + $82 = $133 :spend: I just checked... I went over to RockAuto.Com and a caliper rebuild kit is $2 buck to $5 bucks. Then checking my labor book its 0.8 hours to service a single caliper (1.4 for both). So yeah you could of done much better... :rolleyes: As for the caliper ranging $25 to $54 for unloaded (no pads) or loaded (with pads) $42 to $101... (Information base)

Very few garages here will attempt to service the calipers... they just swap for rebuilt. Yeah, there was probably 20 markup on the caliper. It seems like around here getting brakes serviced (parts + labor) is $200 an axle (probably more now). This guy is convenient for my buddy but I don't see a super bargain. Nice that he didn't run up the bill with extra parts... but not a bargain on this job either. Unfortunately, I'm not physically able to do the work so I have to rely on others. Same guy as my other job so I'm still looking for a shop to call 'home'.