• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My AC was out... I was assuming the evap core had cracked again. I took it by a new mechanic to check it out which he did while I waited... about an hour. He seems interest in discovering the problem & just fixing that, than replacing a bunch of parts. He discovered there was still some freon in it... he tried to get dye into it... I think he went back & forth 3 times... in the end he succeeded in recharging it. He thiinks that the filter was not replaced on the previous repair... perhaps it was plugged & he dislodged it. Anyrate I now have cold, although still stuck on the defrost mode (vacume control problem, that we knew). So the charges were $13 in freon, $135 in labor. The labor seems high for one hour but I don't know what AC service costs these days?

• Owner

Well up here in Lewiston, ID just for fun I got a few prices for charging A/C systems. Dodge Dealer wants $190 bucks. Then Burnell Tire wants $160 for a recharge. Sorry guys... But I can buy 3 cans of freon for $11 bucks and recharge my own for nothing... (Got a start another thread - Don't want to hijack)

Thanks, Mike. I thought the AC service was not a bargain. But the guy really spent some time trying to understand the issue. A straight recharge with no problems, that would be a pretty stiff tarrif. He wants me to come by to check for leaks, tomorrow. It's still cold & I don't see any dye leaking.

I screwed the pooch on mine. didn't realize I need to prefill the compressor with oil, thought I could do it through the line. I believe my system is holding vaccum though, so I'm ready for cool air. I should probably throw a new accumulator on it though, it's probably original to the truck.

• Owner

They got PAG oil in the can that you can charge on a manifold... Or you can pull a vacuum and the let it pull it from a normal bottle your choice. But its best to start with a dry system and charge with the proper amount. I typically prefer the canned PAG oil then there is less chance of getting debris in the system. :smart:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish my 01 only needed a recharge. It blew cold off and on when I first got the truck. But because the vents only blow out defrost and floor I figured I'd put it off until I dug into the dash which is also busted up so yet another item I'd need to buy before dealing with the vents. Anyway the compressor seized before I got to work on it. Smoked the belt instantly. It's currently bypassed with a shorter belt