• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

MPG climbing with the weather.

Warmer weather's here... driving the CTD today... watching the mpg rise on the overhead (it's pretty close on my stock truck). Went from 15 to 16 today... same load of fuel. I'm figuring it for decent IAT. Last summer I nursed it up to 17.5~6 (with 4:10 gears).Russ

16.1 to 16.2 to 16.3... Not enough miles for a tankful. It could be crappy mpgs dropping off the computer though I've really not put many miles on. This leads me to believe the improved IAT is making the biggest difference.

This time of year, and all through the summer, I regularly see 600+ miles per tank and mileage in the 18-20mpg range. That does include towing my 5000lb. work trailer around also!! :thumbsup

That reminds me of a story! My dad pulls a 3000lb TT around with his 95' chevy 350 and never sees double digit figures on mileage anymore, and its getting to that point without the trailer now too! But anyways, he is very skeptical about diesels and all of our "mileage claims" so one time I let him take my truck and the TT to a place about 200 miles away. Normally it would take his truck a couple tanks just to get there. I was on Full and he started asking if he needed to do anything special when filling up (since he sees me mixing 2-stroke and power service in the winter) I told him he wouldn't need to fill up. He thought I was completely full of crap. 1 Round trip later and I am at 3/8 tank. Now he wants one LOL

That's really PP mpgs from a Chevy 350 gasser! My previous tow vehicle was a 79 Chevy C30. 454/auto/3.73 rear/16.5 rubber. Motor was lightly built with a midrange cam/ebelbrock intake/650 AFB. Exhaust was headers large pipes through truck mufflers. (Hot rod mufflers did not last beyond the first trip towing horse trailer.) It got 11. Loaded or empty, it didn't matter. It had plenty of go power... I could have got by with taller gears & maybe got better mpgs. I had restored the body twice... it was just sitting in the barn. I sold it, fired it up (cloud of blue fogging oil) & the guy drove it away.russ

Well supposedly it had plenty of power in it's hay day. But that was 180k miles ago LOL I think he would be better off with a 454 at this point. Or one of those newer 8.1 chevys :wow