• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ceramic Brakes

Soon I'll be looking for new brake linings for my truck and wondered if anyone here have tried ceramic brake pads and shoes on their truck. Seeing we can pull one heck of a lot of weight, I'd like to know your opinion. I have installed these on my wife truck, but it's a 1/2 ton an she uses it more like a car with one heck of a big trunk for her shopping trips. The seem to brake better than stock, and last one heck of a lot longer. But what will they do on the Ram HD's with a large load ?

• Owner

Hmmm... Here is something to consider. I own a 2002 Dodge Cummins haul firewwod every summer out of the high country (2-3 cords a trip). Would you believe I've never done a brake job yet on my truck with 185K miles on the clock. Why??? Because I've got a exhaust brake which does 90% of all my brake work. So my brake last extremely long. Exhaust brake are designed for manual tranny truck but can be retro fitted to automatics too... But next set of brake pads will be the cheapest ones I can find...:stuned:

I put some of these on my 98 and it actually made a big difference in stopping. I have never actually seen a difference in brake pads before, just replace them when they start squeeling, but these actually stop better. I am using the Oreilly's brand Brake Best. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OBR1/C965.oap?pt=C0068&ppt=C0009

Thanks, I seem to have a dilemma, how to put on pads (their cheap at O'Reilly) and exhaust brakes. I like the idea of the brakes working well while on a heavy duty truck, but with the exhaust brake system, should give me performance wanted and longevity wanting.Thanks .....

• Owner

I'll admit exhaust brakes are not cheap ($800-$900)... But they pay themself off in a very short order. As for learning how to get the most out of a exhaust brake and driving style will take time to learn. As for myself I hate driving Mom's 96 Dodge gasser. No exhaust brake to slow me down... I've also gone hunt for a stick that doesn't exist then stomp hard on the brake pedal thinking its a clutch... :lol:

As for myself I hate driving Mom's 96 Dodge gasser. No exhaust brake to slow me down... I've also gone hunt for a stick that doesn't exist then stomp hard on the brake pedal thinking its a clutch... :lol:

I can understand your peril. At one time I had two trucks, 1 stick, 1 auto, and two cars, 1 stick, 1 auto. Got to the point where each day, I had to take the warm up time to get in the understanding what the heck I was driving. One slow, the other quick acceleration, one great breaking, another sort of soft. Was mental hell. Now down to 2, the wife little truck and my Dodge.