• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another "First Diesel"

Just got a 2001 QC short bed with the HO cummins and the six speed manual with 157500 on the clock. So far the truck is great was used as a work truck so its got some dings and what not, but my question is; every once and a while when I go to take off from a cold start the engine will stumble a couple times then recover and be fine the rest of the time, but when it does stumble the check engine light immediatly comes on (so at least thats working!). Could this be the lift pump going bad? Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my second Dodge but my first diesel.

I have had that happen to mine and I have a 07 with the 5.9 engine. The only time it has done it is in the dead of winter so I am thinking it was possibly a moisture problem. I put some PowerService in it and it was good for the rest of the winter.

• Owner

Well the CHECK ENGINE light is the first thing... I would dump the error codes and see whats going on... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/obd2-error-codes/obd2-error-codes.htm With the stumble it could be a lot of thing but the error codes will give a clue to whats going on... The second thing is I would find out the fuel pressure to be safe... You should have at least 10 PSI at all times to be safe...

• Owner

Okay got the error codes from the odometer screen.

PCU: P0500 No Vehicle Speed Sensor Signal No vehicle speed sensor signal detected during road load conditions.

P1693 DTC Detected in PCM/ECM or DTC Detected in ECM A Companion DTC was set in both the ECM and PCM.

ECU: P1693 DTC Detected in PCM/ECM or DTC Detected in ECM A Companion DTC was set in both the ECM and PCM.

P0341 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Signal Problem with voltage signal from CMP.

P1690 Fuel Injection Pump CKP Sensor Does Not Agree With ECM CKP Sensor Problem in fuel sync signal. Possible injection pump timing problem. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops.

Any ideas as to what this means? :confused:

Also how would I go about checking the fuel pressure?

Defined... So basically you spun your tires from a stop because both front and rear sensor disagree ro on was shows speed before the others. This trips the p0500 code. So as long as the ABS/BRAKE lights are out and the speedometer works clear it and don't worry.

Cam Sensor is shot. Just replace the cam sensor under the VP44... There other 2 codes will go away... P0341 and P1690

P1693 is a companion code... ;)

Fuel pressure is checked by installing a gauge in the cab... Or by using a test gauge on the VP44...

Posted Image

Oh but the ABS and brake lights are on :confused So could this be a rear speed sensor? Also is the cam sensor something that is going to hurt the engine if I keep driving it? (the other ram just blew a brake line `:( ) Thanks for all the info :D

• Owner

If the rear speed sensor is goofy then the speedometer doesn't work or behaves weird. So if the speedometer is working then the front 2 sensors are to blame.As for the cam sensor... If the cam sensor fails it my leave you walking. So I would see about fixing the cam sensor soon.

• 4 months later...

Oh but the ABS and brake lights are on :confused So could this be a rear speed sensor? Also is the cam sensor something that is going to hurt the engine if I keep driving it? (the other ram just blew a brake line `:( ) Thanks for all the info :D

My ABS light came on & all I had to do was bleed my breaks. I thought it was a sensor as well. Maybe it's something as simple as that. Does your pedal feel low or spongy? Took a lot of air out of my RR, the rest were fine. Good luck, Dave

• Owner

Here is a write up on the ABS/BRAKE light problem... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/abs/abs.htm Like others had said check for air in the system too...