• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air Filter Issues

I have a 04.5 ctd and was wondering about the "Big Honkin Air Filter". I currently have an Air Aid CAI which I thought was good until I pulled the intake hose off of the turbo and looked like my turbo has taken in some dirt :( . My filter stays clean, at least on the outside, but are these lifetime filters junk? Does the BHAF do a better job of filtration? What is the price tag of the BGAF and how long do they last? Do these filters fit directly to the intake hose I already have? Any help appreciatated... Mike

• Owner

BHAF tend to work great... I've got a BHAF on my 02 that is over 10K miles and 5 years old and the filter minder has never moved. I spray the intake tube with WD40 to check for dirt/dust but never do I find any when I wipe the tube out at the next oil change. BHAF sell for about $40 at VulcanPerformance.com you also can pick up a Outerwears to extend the life of the filter too. The nice part is you never oil it, wash it, blow it off with compressed air, vacuum it, or anything... It just works... As for adding the filter minder you just need to drill a hole in the end of the filter and use you filter minder and rubber grommet...

• 7 months later...

I'm not a very happy camper with my air filter. I have a AEM Brute Force and after using it for only a year noticed some grim and dirt on my turbo fins, so I went out and got a Amsoil EAAU4090 air filter to replace the AEM air filter. A little over a year now and the turbo fins are dirty again. So yes, I'm not a happy camper after spending all that money. Now I'm thinking of going back to the stock air box and adding a cold air intake in the bottom of it, (4in. tube going down to the bumper). Any suggestions?

I'm not a very happy camper with my air filter. I have a AEM Brute Force and after using it for only a year noticed some grim and dirt on my turbo fins, so I went out and got a Amsoil EAAU4090 air filter to replace the AEM air filter. A little over a year now and the turbo fins are dirty again. So yes, I'm not a happy camper after spending all that money. Now I'm thinking of going back to the stock air box and adding a cold air intake in the bottom of it, (4in. tube going down to the bumper). Any suggestions?

I've got a Fram Boost 2 CAI on my 04.5. It's the same as the AEM Brute Force but with a different paint job. Mine has been real good. I believe I've had it on about 4 years. The tube stays spotless inside. That said, I've never pulled the tube and boot off the turbo to look inside the turbo. Maybe when it warms up. Is your rubber boot that connects the tube to the turbo "tight"?????:confused: Do you live in a dusty area??? I also run an Outerwears Filter condom over the filter itself. I've only cleaned the filter 3 times and I use a solution of simple green and water.

I've vacuumed my Amsoil filter 2-3 times, never washed it. Yes, I do have a Outerwear cover on it. The rubber boot that connects to the turbo is tight also. (When I do a oil change I'll disconnect that boot and pull the whole filter out of the way to change the oil filter, makes it easer to get at). At this time I'll put a clean paper towel on the turbo blades and it's always dirty. Mostly, I'll use a clean rag and take my time and wipe the blades off. When I had my 01 2nd gen Ram, I used carb. cleaner on the turbo blades to clean, haven't used it on this one, any suggestions on what to clean the turbo with?