• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Blower Motor Death Chamber

OK so about a year ago I experienced a vibration from the blower motor. Dropped the motor and inside the fan basket there was a bunch of insulation. This sort of concerned me since I couldn't figure out where it came from but problem solved. So last Saturday I took the truck out, turned the AC on and darn if that vibration wasn't back again. Didn't think much into it, figured something fell down in there, easy fix. Now mind you my truck is babied beyond belief and only gets driven on the weekends. So I had to tow a trailer yesterday for a friend and when I opened my door I about died, and judging by the odor something had died. Did take me long to zero in on the location which was the passenger floor area. I dropped the blower motor again to find a family of mutilated mice among a bunch more insulation. So I've spend the past two days trying to rid this odor, I've completely disassembled the blower assembly and as much of the vent area as I could to sanitize everything I could. Right now I've got a de-ionizing machine running in my truck to help. And not only that but I've now removed two fan basket loads of insulation which I have to assume is from elsewhere in my truck. Anybody else experience anything like this before. I'm really pissed at myself for not looking into this Saturday and I feel like my truck is destroyed now by this stench. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Sorry for the long post

I have other posts on this here. To keep the mice out of the heater, I stuffed SS pot scrubber (SS Steel Wool) behind the hood hinges where the cowel drains are located. The rain & snow seem to drain just fine but this stopped the mice from getting into the cab. Check your air cleaner. I suggest screening with 1/4" "hardware cloth" wire mesh or aluminum "expanded metal" gutter guard (more maliable). I continue to battle critters. Russ Other threads for your enlightment & amusement... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/3810-Rodent-Combat!! http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/3799-Stock-Filter-Box-full-of-mouse-nest... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/2457-Bird-Cage-blower...-NOT-ME.-I-got-a http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/150-Cirrus-heater-motor...-help-pls.

I would call a company that specializes in odor removal. See if they can sell you something a bit stronger then over the counter chemicals. As for the insulation try going to a car wash and see if you can put the hose inside the blower motor to see if you can vacuum the insulation out. You might be able to get your insurance company to pick up the cost of cleaning up the truck.Don

I suggest you fill out the "signature" as to just what your truck is... it would help get better advise.I continue to have problems with other vehicles but have 100% kept the mice out of the cab of my Second Generation (01.5). The heat/AC air comes from the cowel area. The keeping the mice from getting into the cowel is essencial. With the blower motor out, I reached up & cleaned out everything by hand and then used a shop vac. If the mice can't get back in there, you should eventually get all the fluff. I ended up removing my underhood & cowel area insulation because it was just so much mouse habitat. The cowel insulation particularly made the cab louder. I wish I had a better solution. My neighbor had a blower motor jam & burn up on his wife's new Saturn... the dealer would not cover "rodent damage". Yes, you can pull the whole duct assembly but it's a lot of work... and it does not keep the mice out of the cowel area.I have had mice get into my Cirus heater (the hood hinges reach into the cowel area so I can't screen it the same way) just sitting overnight, used every day.