• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

swap tech help request

Hello;allow me to introduce myself,my name is ed and I hail from manitoba,canada.I have been lurking on this and other forums for a while now,looking for info on a project I was roped into.I have a tech question and am looking for assistance:I am in the process of attempting to install a '01 24v into a '99 ram.The '99 threw a rod.I have run into the problem of the lack of a crank tone ring on the 01 engine.I had planned to do the crank swap but it turned out that the '99 crank was cracked and junk.So here is my question:I have read that it may be possible to change the '99 harness so that the crank sensor wire is re-routed and connected to the cam sensor on the '01 engine,to provide speed and timing reference to the ecu.Can anyone confirm that this is possible and successful?Would the '99 ecu work,or would it need to be re-flashed,or could I use the '01 ecu?I have full engine accessories for both engines including pumps ,ecu's,and harnesses.The harnesses are substantially different between the 2 engines.Just trying to find out if there is any work around the crank tone ring problem.Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum FMhouse! Although there may be work arounds, it is HIGHLY unlikely the PCM/ECM from the 99 will work properly with the 2001 engine. If possible, can you obtain the PCM/ECM & wire harness from the donor truck the 2001 engine came from? In my opinion, this will be your best bet for success and the least amount of problems. Is the 2001 engine an HO engine? If it came out of a manual shift truck with a 6 speed manual transmission it is highly likely it is an HO. Different VP-44 than standard output engines and will require the original harness and brains.

hello and thanks for your reply.I was intending to convert the 01' engine to the '99 standard by swapping all of the sensors,pump,ecm,etc,hence the problem with no tone ring on the crank.The '01 engine is an isb235 if that says anything,the '99 was a isb215.No info if '01 donor truck was std. or auto but could probably find out.'99 is an auto.As I said,I do have the ecm,pump, and harness for the '01,but not the pcm,and the harness has different connectors on the truck side than the '99 harness.Backround info,the '99 truck and engine were in mint shape,but it appears that one of the #6 rod cap bolts came loose,then pulled out,and grenaded the engine.What a shame,I would be really pissed if it were mine,but I got roped in to helping the guy fix it.He got a pretty good deal on this '01 engine,hence the situation.As a side note,they sure screwed up the interchangeability of these engines....:banghead: