• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2007 5.9 2 cycle oil

After reading your forun I stopped adding Marvel to my 5.9, My 5.9 is a 2007 no cat or filter on the exhaust, added 16 oz of Royal Purple 2 cycle oil , is that correct for this engine , seems to run a little cooler,mpg is 17.5 to 18 on the 4 wheel drive 3500, I did use your calculator to get the correct amount to add, Thanks KDUD

I am not sure on the royal purple stuff but make sure it says "TC-W3" on it, otherwise it might be synthetic which doesn't burn off like dino 2-stroke oil would. I take it you calculated at half a tank?

• Owner

I am not sure on the royal purple stuff but make sure it says "TC-W3" on it, otherwise it might be synthetic which doesn't burn off like dino 2-stroke oil would. I take it you calculated at half a tank?

Actually synthetics are fine to use but synthetics are more costly price wise. As for the ratio you want to hold to 200:1 ratio as a MAX. As for 2007 model year I'm kind of on the fence concerning 2007 models. Being that everything after that point was designed for ULSD and shouldn't requirte a fuel additive for lubricity. But form what I'm finding out as long as the DPF is not present most peope have used it without a issue...

Hmm, the only thing I know is that anything synthetic I ran in my truck be it hydraulic fluid, amsoil oil, all hated being burned and there was a slight white haze, making me think it wasn't burning very good. I guess it isn't the same with synthetic 2-stroke though since it is known that it will be ran as a fuel that needs to be burnt off.

• Owner

Hmm, the only thing I know is that anything synthetic I ran in my truck be it hydraulic fluid, amsoil oil, all hated being burned and there was a slight white haze, making me think it wasn't burning very good. I guess it isn't the same with synthetic 2-stroke though since it is known that it will be ran as a fuel that needs to be burnt off.

I think Dorkweed has tried Synthetic in his 2004... As for Duluth Diesel (AMSOil Dealer @ CF.com) he's burning his own oils (2 cycle) without issue... So if its hydraulic fluid that might be the cause. There is several other chemical added to different lubes (engine oil, ATF, hydraulic fluids) that might effect the performance and the way it burns... As a matter of fact the closest I came to synthetic is Yama-Lube Semi-Synthetic and I used over 2 gallons without issue... ;)

Well I haven't put another drop in the dodge, although the ford has seen many more half tank fulls of it LOL it looks like a steam train, but it also doesn't have the greastest compression anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the synthetic is a lot more resistant to burning and that the mix ratios should be less than 1/2 of the dino rates. My truck is old and has run dino 2cycle since I got it so I don't have one to experiment on.Cleaning out the tank by dilution - use of 4-5 hundred gallons ans starting with 1/4 oz per gallon for 1k miles to check the theory is just not on my list.The 07's are close to the fuel spec that the manufactures asked for so the damage from the occasional tank of fuel that the tankwagon driver did not add the additive to is not a great risk.If my guess as to the source of the increase in fuel mileage is correct ( upper ring lube ) synthetic MAY be effective at even less amounts.keydl